I just finished my second build:

Cpu: i5 6600k
Gpu: evga 980 ti hybrid
Mobo: maximus hero viii
Case: corsair 780t white
Thermal paste: artic silver 5
RAM: kingston 16gb 2666 ddr4
Psu: corsair ax860

Note: I replaced the H115i fans with Corsair SP140 49.5 CFM 140mm Fans because of the noise I read in the reviews. I installed the fence thing on top first, then the 2 fans below it to pull air in from the top.

I installed everything into the case just fine. However, I ran into some trouble when i install the H115i water cooler for my cpu. I don't know which cables go where.
There are 3 cables coming out of the heatsink:
1. A cable with 2 heads (3 pin and 4 pin) I'm guessing is for the 2 fans
2. A 1 pin cable that looks like its for a fan cable so i plugged it into the cpu fan header at the top of the mobo
3. A SATA looking cable (I use 1 SATA psu cable for both the dvd driver and the water cooler)
4. A detachable micro usb cable that i plugged into the heatsink, the other end to the bottom of the mobo - USB header

I turned the computer on, I got a cpu fan header error (cpu temperture error). Everything else works just fine. The Corsair lights up, the fans blows strong. However, my cpu starts from 30'c and didnt stop until it reached above 70'c. I panicked and turned off my pc for 10 minutes. I questioned the thermal paste so I took the heatsink out and reapplied the thermal paste. Turned it on again and still have same problem. I let it sit for a little, it reached 89'c and the whole pc turned off. Did I do any step wrong? Setup problem? Fan problem? Pump problem? Please help!

Solution
I also just completed a build using the H115i.

The manual is ok, but is lacking on some items.
It does say how to install the backplate, the pump and the radiator. And yes, the instructions say it is best to use the fans as intake and not exhaust, so that clean cool air comes across the radiator for the best cooling.

It also instructs to put the small 3 pin connector to the CPU Fan Header.
It instructs that the split connector is to plug the power supply from each of the 2 fans.
It instructs to put the USB cable from the pump to the USB 2.0 Header on the Motherboard.
But the manual and instructions do not say anywhere what to do with the SATA cable.

However it is answered on the Corsari website Forum.
From the Corsair Forum about...
Fans should blow air out not in.
A cable with 2 heads (3 pin and 4 pin), use only 4pin and connect to CPU-FAN on the MB, that's for fans.
Pump that has 3 pins and should go to CPU-FAn 2 on MB
USB you have right but use SW that comes with cooler.
SATA looking cable is just to provide power to fans and pump in case your MB doesn't have appropriate connectors.
No idea about that "1 pin cable"

Soulingo

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

Thank you for replying. I got the usb and sata cables correctly based on what you said.
http://imgur.com/fLbl5TW
http://imgur.com/mBcqKWa
http://imgur.com/gENnJ7i

The 2 heads (3 pin and 4 pin) can't fit on the cpu-fan header on the mobo. And the 1 pin just throws me off...
http://imgur.com/ae9VYgA (if this one is for the cpu-fan header then where should i plug in my 2 fans?)
http://imgur.com/wezKcLv

In this picture http://imgur.com/wezKcLv it's either/or, not both of them at same time. I would connect middle one (with 4 wires) to 4 pin connector on MB which is probably marked CPU-FAN.
You also have W_PUMP header on MB, obvious place for water pump lead from the cooler, it doesn't matter that its only 3pin, it will fit and work.
That single pin in 3pin connector is in the place where a lead for RPM sensing would be for normal fans but it's not mentioned in instructions at all.

Soulingo

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

I did exactly what he did from 4:23 to 6:50
https://youtu.be/Bm-tDRezd5s?t=4m23s

Maybe I got a defective cooler

emsir

Honorable
Dec 10, 2014

emsir

Honorable
Dec 10, 2014

Guessing???
How about reading the manual that came with the cooler??? Do you have problem reading a manual?
Corsair's manual for this cooler is the best and explains evetything in details. How can you install something without reading the manual. If you can't read you can watch tons of youtube videos installing this cooler. You should never touch a computer.

There's an old saying: "If everything else fails, read manual". Unfortunately, some manuals are practically useless, I had good chuckle with some of them, specially ones translated from Chinese.

emsir

Honorable
Dec 10, 2014

That's just not very clever to post an answer like this. I know for a fact that the manual that comes with this cooler is in English- So stop being a smart a**. I also want to say that your problems are made by you and not the cooler. Your 1 pin header is for the pump, but read the manual and stop guessing, that's just stupid.
Here is the link to manual in English.....on Corsair's homepage!

http://www.corsair.com/en/hydro-series-h115i-280mm-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

You would choose Download and the Quick Start Guide which is the manual!

Vitality702

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
I think I plugged the 1 pin into the cpu and I know I plugged the fans into the ports coming from the pump so that the pump can control the fans I didn't even mess with the usb because it's not a necessity the only thing I could say is that this h115 is my second one because installed the first one the same way everything seemed fine I got nice temps left for an hour came back and my computer was off turned it on temps reach 89 and computer turned I just blamed the pump because I disconnected everything except the pump and when I turned the computer back on I was not able to hear the pump start so I chalked it up to that and RMAd it and they sent me a brand new one and haven't had any problems since

Schleepy2

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016

Schleepy2

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
This so called manual is woefully inadequate. It does not indicate where the single wire is to go. Nor does it say whether the usb connectors are an alternative to the SATA connector. More importantly the backing plate protrudes too high through the motherboard meaning the standoffs don't tighten down on the board. Board is Asus z170-premium. Had to shim under the board with 3 washers on each corner. Only then does it tighten and the correct hight and tension on the cpu is achieved. Very poor documentation and I notice the utube video referred to skipped mentioning the usb connectors. Combined with all the bugs in the software I find this a very disappointing product.

That's what I was trying to say but got shut down by Emsir who seems t know only to criticize but not try to help.
I'm sorry but I can only go by that manual because I don't have that cooler. Maybe someone with experience with it will come along and help without being smart #$%%.

Schleepy2

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016

Schleepy2

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
I agree. It's all about helping each other and being constructive. People who aggressively snipe at others like that usually have a problem of their own and it's their way of trying to appear big and important.

emsir

Honorable
Dec 10, 2014

What??? Here is from the manual :
• Connect the pump power cable (1 pin) to the
CPU_FAN header on your motherboard.
• Connect the fans to the two connectors

The USB cable is for the Corsair link. I don't see why the USB should be an alternative to SATA connector which provide power for the fans (if you connect the fans to the cooler and not your mobo headers.
You are just confusing with your wild guess. Read the manual ,it's alll in there.

I've installed corsair Hydro Liquid coolers on 20 computers and never had any problems connecting fans or pump. They work just great. I think the problem is in your end not being able to understand what the manual says. There should be no problem installing the cooler if you know what your doing.
And this: "More importantly the backing plate protrudes too high through the motherboard meaning the standoffs don't tighten down on the board". It's just normal. When you tighten down the pump with the screws it will sit tight.
And this: "Had to shim under the board with 3 washers on each corner. Only then does it tighten and the correct hight and tension on the cpu is achieved". As mentioned above the slack off the standoffs is normal. When you tighten down the pump with the finger screws the pump will be tight and no slack. That's just normal procedure. There is no reason to put any washers in any corner. You are creating big problems by doing that. Because the pump will not have the right hight and not sit tight on the CPU, creating overheat issues. I simply don't get your logic. If you follow the instructions you will have no issues at all. And by the way, this is a GREAT product. The problem is you.

momorious

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

Hi.
Getting H115i tomorrow, have an Asus Z-170 Deluxe.
Should I connect the pump to the CPU Fan Header oder to the dedicated W_PUMP header?

JustinJN

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016

Please note that which direction the air blows, in or out, is subjective but Corsair recommends that air is drawn in. If you think about a radiator in a car, you draw air in from outside to run over the rad not from the engine but from the outside air via the front grill. This is because ultimately you are trying to release heat from the fins on the rad so it would be more efficient running the coolest air over the rad (i.e. from outside). Presumably, you're cooling your box because it is hot; the rad is special because it cools the CPU specifically. Yes the rad will release heat into the chassis but that will be vented out assuming you have a good set of fans.

ctulpa

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
I also just completed a build using the H115i.

The manual is ok, but is lacking on some items.
It does say how to install the backplate, the pump and the radiator. And yes, the instructions say it is best to use the fans as intake and not exhaust, so that clean cool air comes across the radiator for the best cooling.

It also instructs to put the small 3 pin connector to the CPU Fan Header.
It instructs that the split connector is to plug the power supply from each of the 2 fans.
It instructs to put the USB cable from the pump to the USB 2.0 Header on the Motherboard.
But the manual and instructions do not say anywhere what to do with the SATA cable.

However it is answered on the Corsari website Forum.
From the Corsair Forum about the H115i:

The SATA cable supplies the power to the cooler and fans, if those are run from the pump block. The 3 pin that connects to the board is a sensor only. Check your power supply bag to see if there are any SATA cables to connect from the PSU to the H115 cable. Many PSUs have double or triple SATA connectors on the same line, so you may be able to piggy back off a drive cable that is already installed.

And yes, the instructions fail to mention this aspect at all.

Solution

scottytriple

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
I just installed one two nights ago. ctulpa is 100% correct.

3 pin single wire connector goes to motherboard fan header for cpu.

Two 4-pin sized connectors are to plug the fans in

Sata cable is to provide power to pump and fans

mini usb to usb header cable is for corsair link.. which is used to monitor & control pump & fans and choose pump led colour.