CORSAIR with DHX vs. without (C4DHX vs. C4)

13bravo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Hey All,

I was initially going to buy the following 2X1GB mem kit from corsair:

Twin2X2048-6400C4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034&Tpk=Twin2X2048-6400C4

But the I read this on sharkeyextreme:

"Corsair XMS2-6400 w/ DHX TwinX memory offers the same low 4-4-4-12 timings at 800 MHz of the standard Corsair XMS2-6400C4 memory, but with the addition of DHX, or Dual-path Heat eXchange, cooling technology. This utilizes a two-piece, dual-contact method of attaching the heatsinks to the memory chips and PCB, while offering a fin-based design to further aid heat dissipation. Temperatures, especially with high-speed DDR2, are noticeably lower with this design, and since we're not losing anything on the timings side, it's a win-win situation."
http://www.sharkeyextreme.com/guides/MHGSBG/article.php/10707_3701166__4

So now I am thinking of getting the 2X1GB DHX mem kit instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145177

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on this? Specifically, does the DHX and fins make that much of a difference in cooling? For some of the comments written out there it would seem that it does. And for only a couple of bucks more, wouldn't it be worth it? Also, keep in mind I plan to OC the mem for my kids system I am building so I am thinking this is the way to go. I am just wondering if this, in reality, is nothing more than snake oil!

I look forward to your thoughts! Thanks in advance!

13Bravo -- USHA!

13bravo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Thanks again! That is the route I will be going. The DHX has the same $40 rebate too so I am thinking 2X1GB Corsair XMS memory (with DHX and 4-4-4-12 timings) for only $50 isn't a bad deal at all! :)

Thanks!!

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
On that particular memory and according to the info we used from Micron to design the DHX cooling, it should positively influence longevity as much or more than OCing or performance. The DHX is the better choice for the same or similiar pricing, esp $50!

Romb

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I have the 6400C4 DHX modules; 2x2GB. I'm not super into chips fabrication but I know these have Promos chips and there's bad word on those on the internet. Formerly they used Micron chips which were way better, but now it's Promos.
I have nothing but trouble; not sure if it's my new Maximus Formula motherboard but memtest86 (a very thorough memory diagnostic and test tool) reports errors on all 4 memory sticks within seconds. Also the sticks are rated as 2.1 Volt but as soon as I go any higher than 2.0V in my bios the system will have BSOD. I'm still trying to find the culprit (would be REALLY unlucky if I received 4 bad ram sticks; tested them all separately and they all report same error), so it could bet the mobo, but just wanted to let you know something in my system is causing memtest86 to report errors ..

TRENDING THREADS