Corsair's 128 GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 Modules Are Both Fast And Pricey

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
If you think this cost too much or its too much memory then its not for you, yea I do know people/companies that will gladly pay that much and more

Lol, yep definantly not for me. What I don't understand is who can use all that RAM? The only candidate I can think of would be massive servers that have 50+ users logged into it at once.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Lol, yep definantly not for me. What I don't understand is who can use all that RAM? The only candidate I can think of would be massive servers that have 50+ users logged into it at once.

If you're running a lot of VMs, especially VMs on RAMdisks, then that'll eat up memory real quick. Plus, there are 3D rendering programs that will use every ounce of RAM you give it. If you're a professional and doubling your RAM means greatly reducing render times and increasing productivity, then yeah, that's a worthy investment.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Even with all that memory, a game still won't load itself into memory for faster loading. But it will take you a couple days before you realize there is a memory leak.

Gag me, $1000 for RAM! I think 64GB is plenty enough for what most people do on their workstations. 128GB is only for those select few who actually use more than 64GB.

and those select few could get by with mobos having more then 4 dims in it. i got 128 gigs of ram in my server for a much cheaper $40. granted i had 32dimms and its only 533mhz

alextheblue

Distinguished
Even with all that memory, a game still won't load itself into memory for faster loading. But it will take you a couple days before you realize there is a memory leak.

That much RAM isn't really needed for gaming. Now if you run multiple VMs or do heavy workstation loads, there's a need.

For games I'm happy with 16GB of system memory and 4GB of VRAM for now. In a couple years I'm sure I'll want to double that. But I might be looking at a platform upgrade by that point.

sylentz199

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
After Effects will use every single gb of that memory and still ask for more.

"Use" is being used loosely...it will partition it off and use what it "needs" but I doubt it's using anywhere near 32GB much less 128GB.

sylentz199

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015

If you're running a lot of VMs, especially VMs on RAMdisks, then that'll eat up memory real quick. Plus, there are 3D rendering programs that will use every ounce of RAM you give it. If you're a professional and doubling your RAM means greatly reducing render times and increasing productivity, then yeah, that's a worthy investment.

I need to run Server Core with Hyper-V role on my rig and put my Desktop OS in a RamDisk...

sylentz199

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015

I need to run Server Core with Hyper-V role on my rig and put my Desktop OS in a RamDisk...

TwoSpoons100

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I could have happily used 128GB ram in my last job - doing 3D finite element simulations of electromagnetic systems. Several times I used up the 64GB I had, at which point the sim became sloooow as it had to use the the hard drive to store the enormous amounts of data it was processing.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I could have happily used 128GB ram in my last job - doing 3D finite element simulations of electromagnetic systems. Several times I used up the 64GB I had, at which point the sim became sloooow as it had to use the the hard drive to store the enormous amounts of data it was processing.

Then you represent the 0.01% of people who actually have a use for this product. No, wait, you really should be using ECC RAM for simulations. Still a very marginally-useful product.

I recently bought 2x16GB DDR4 DIMMs and I thought they were both excessive and excessively expensive. This just amps it up to 11, although I must say at least they're not really upping the price any because they're packing 4 sticks together which is better than some companies do.

G

If you need that much memory, then you really should probably be using ECC, since whatever you're doing is valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.