News Corsair's 192GB DDR5 RAM Kit Arrives for $730

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I wish there were more reviews on higher capacity memory modules, especially when it comes to overclocking and tightening timings, as well as examining how increased voltage works for them.
Ideally, it would be good to get a larger kit but still be able to tighten the timings.

Firestone

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
I'll take the "normal" clock speed kit, thanks. Too bad that mITX only ever supports two memory modules, so I'm gonna be stuck at 96GB it seems.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I know every few years it's "you'll never need that much ram" and suddenly you do but this is unnecessary for the average user. We are just now seeing games requiring 32GB of RAM. 64GB is a long ways off and 128GB will be like DDR7 or DDR8. By the time 192GB would be needed we will probably using different memory technology.

hannibal

Distinguished
I know every few years it's "you'll never need that much ram" and suddenly you do but this is unnecessary for the average user. We are just now seeing games requiring 32GB of RAM. 64GB is a long ways off and 128GB will be like DDR7 or DDR8. By the time 192GB would be needed we will probably using different memory technology.

Well, these are not for gamers. Simulations, big data, etc needs a lot of memory.
What I am wondering why anyone would be using RGB kit for that kind of work...

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023
The first rule of thumb is to have at least double the amount of CPU memory as there is total GPU memory in the system. For example, a system with 2x GeForce RTX 3090 GPUs would have 48GB of total VRAM – so the system should be configured with 128GB (96GB would be double, but 128GB is usually the closest configurable amount).

logainofhades

Titan

I use a software that has 64gb as the recommended amount.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Well, these are not for gamers. Simulations, big data, etc needs a lot of memory.
What I am wondering why anyone would be RGB kit for that kind of work...

My point exactly. This isn't aimed at the likes of data centers. The aforementioned RGB and speed ratings aren't the type one would use in a server.

I use a software that has 64gb as the recommended amount.

Average user 😉 I know editing, CAD, major multi-tasking like streaming will require that

Firestone

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
yea enterprise grade data center servers and workstations have had 1TB+ of memory capability for a very long time, but if a home user wanted something similar they would often be limited to 128GB on DDR4 (and even less on DDR3 and prior) or they would be required to build a home PC workstation using higher priced "prosumer" parts that would quadruple your budget and limit your form factor options.

now with 48GB DDR5 modules, a theoretical Ryzen 7950X build could get up to 192GB for approx. ~$2500, and you could feasibly do a 96GB mITX build for about ~$2000, with a "cheap" GPU. I am already planning out my own build :) but still looking forward to even greater density increases. :smilingimp: