Corsair's Enormous Obsidian 1000D Case Hits The Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems kind of silly to only have space for 1 PSU in a case meant to be a dual system setup. I was considering this case while reading the article until I saw this one simple fact. The cost didn't bother me but only 1 PSU is a deal breaker. I wish corsair the best of luck with this 1.5 system setup.

USAFRet

Titan

Exactly. I was going to make the same comment.

Large enough for two, but 'not quite''.

jragonsoul

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009

It has room for two, not sure if toms just missed it or not.

USAFRet

Titan

2 PSU's?
I'm not seeing it.

Where, exactly?

kewlguy239

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012

We saw it that way at first, too. But it turns out we goofed (sort of).

Corsair reached out to us after seeing our article and clarified that the Obsidian 1000D does indeed fit two power supplies; an ATX and a SFX. The mistake came from the company's materials - the published tech specs only mentioned one ATX PSU up to 225mm in length. Corsair also expressed that it would likely be tweaking its spec page to reflect the fact the dual-system case supports two PSUs.

So what do you think about it now that we know it can run two power supplies? ;-)

jragonsoul

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009

Oh I already bought it but that's because I knew it could fit two PSU's from following the development of the case. :D

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
This has to be my 2nd choice. Its modern and big enough for what i want in my next PC build. Leaning towards the hydra desk but i feel it doesnt have enough modern tech too it. I like the idea of a desk case but hydra leaves out too many modern touches that cases always have in todays age. Looks like a great case hopefully its still around by this time next year.

old_rager

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
Could someone answer me this - why would you want 2 motherboards or 2 entire PCs in 1 PC case? Just curious when, with all the virtualisation and CPU/GPU power available these days, why would you?

Very disappointed in this case as I've been waiting nearly 6 months for this very case (900D upgrade). Unfortunately for me, not enough 3.5" drive capacity. Another question I'd love to be answered is why all the rage these days with PC cases having lots of 2.5" drive bays as opposed to 3.5" drive bays? InWin seems to have really gone down the path of more 2.5" as opposed to 3.5" in as much there's not really much of a selection (if any) for a case supporting 8 x 3.5" drive bays. I believe the largest 2.5" drive (non SSD) is about 5TB, whereas it is 12 TB for 3.5" HDDs. I currently run 8 x 3 TB 3.5" HDDs in a raid 6 configuration and am really pushed for useable space. With 4K movies now becoming main stream with each one taking up to about 60-70GB per movie (uncompressed), I believe that I will be requiring far greater storage amounts that I feel 2.5" drives can currently provide. Please someone tell me why 2.5" drives seem to b e all the rage now with PC case manufacturers?

USAFRet

Titan

Possibly a whole house firewall box, and a HTPC.
Yes, you could virtualize one or the other. But I much prefer the firewall box being actually airgapped from everything else, rather than being a VM inside something else.

Why 2.5" drive mounts? SSD's.
My current system has 5, totaling ~2TB. All my large space needs (movies, etc) are in the 4x4TB spinning drives in the NAS box.

Status
Not open for further replies.