Corsiar 8GB plus additional 16GB any good?

dunlop

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
I currently have Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz PC3 12800 240-Pin DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9) on an Asus M5A78L/USB3
I look to upgrade my motherboard to the Asus Sabertooth FX (which has 2 DDR dual channels) and seek to buy 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) of the same Corsair memory so as to give a to a new total of 24 GB
However will this be beneficial or am I better buying just 8GB (2 x 4GB):no: to the initial 8GB to give a total of 16GB?:??:
Thanks.

Solution
Either way, 2x4GB or 2x8GB, there's no guarantee it will play with your old DRAM, even if you got an identical set of the same 2x4GB you have. Best to go 2x8GB then if they will play with your old then it's a bonus, else you can use the old in another rig or sell them off to recoup some of your expenditure.

Sanjay Srivastava

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
you should just buy 2x4 gb ram sticks again

bcoz if you change the memory stick sizes.....it might cause a change in timings and latency and other weird stuff

and also 16 gb is more than enough ram for a gaming rig

all memories same means extra 2-10% performance boost in RAMs.

dunlop

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015

Thanks for your reply Sanjay
The only difference would be the RAM size not the timings nor latency
That's why I specifically am going back for the same Corsair memory (only a larger size) :)
And by the way, I want to use the system for virtualization not gaming:wahoo:
Await insights from others please
Thanks

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Either way, 2x4GB or 2x8GB, there's no guarantee it will play with your old DRAM, even if you got an identical set of the same 2x4GB you have. Best to go 2x8GB then if they will play with your old then it's a bonus, else you can use the old in another rig or sell them off to recoup some of your expenditure.

Solution