[SOLVED] Cortana speech basically doesn't work.

Hoonie

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Hello firstly,
Since I set up the Cortana, it doesn't hear me nor can I speak with it. I press the mic button but it basically bypasses the speaking and resets back. It's just really frustrating, I also made a search and no one has a solution for this. Also Windows setting "Let Cortana respond to "Hey Cortana"" doesn't work either. I turn it on and Windows sets it off again. I tried the setting "Make sure Cortana hear me" and it does nothing, just pops up the Cortana.
My computer language and region is set to UK.
Any help is appreciated.

Solution
Hello Hoonie

Can you please check and confirm if your Windows is configured to allow apps to access Microphone in the Settings > Privacy > Microphone section?

Also please confirm if you are signed in to your Microsoft account, and if you can use a different microphone without issues.

Please do check if the microphone has the same issue with other apps like Skype, Facebook, Sound Recorder, etc. as well.

You can also try the solutions given here.

Good Luck!!
Hello Hoonie

Can you please check and confirm if your Windows is configured to allow apps to access Microphone in the Settings > Privacy > Microphone section?

Also please confirm if you are signed in to your Microsoft account, and if you can use a different microphone without issues.

Please do check if the microphone has the same issue with other apps like Skype, Facebook, Sound Recorder, etc. as well.

You can also try the solutions given here.

Good Luck!!

Solution

Hoonie

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Thanks for the answer
Unfortunately, yes I have signed in, I can use other speaking apps without problem but the problem still insists. I also made a troubleshoot for microphone settings and Windows asked me to read a phrase, I read and Windows heard and recognized me but Cortana is unavailable to do that.
Windows still reverses the setting "Let Cortana respond to Hey Cortana".

Hello again

Can you please try disabling and then re-enabling the Windows' built-in apps as explained here?

Cheers!!

Hoonie

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
UPDATE: It's been a long time since I gave up trying to get Cortana to work. But Cortana is working perfect now, is listening and talking back to me. I have no idea how that happened. I've had several Windows updates, my guess is one of them fixed this issue.

TRENDING THREADS