Question Cost Effective Server

Apr 14, 2021
Hi there,

I would like to confirm if a Xeon Bronze 6C, with a 16 GB RAM can accomodate Windows Server 2019 Essentials, MS SQL Server 2019 Std + 5 Device CALs, and MS Navision 2009.

The company is on a tight budget right now which is why we are trying to see if any entry level server setup is possible.

Thanks.

Apr 14, 2021
Can they afford more ram at least?
Can be pushed to 32GB. How will more RAM play a part in this? I'd take that at least 8GB will be used by the OS, SQL, and the NAV. Then assuming the consumption of RAM will vary on the size of the database. Is 16GB not sufficient as of the moment?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there,

I would like to confirm if a Xeon Bronze 6C, with a 16 GB RAM can accomodate Windows Server 2019 Essentials, MS SQL Server 2019 Std + 5 Device CALs, and MS Navision 2009.

The company is on a tight budget right now which is why we are trying to see if any entry level server setup is possible.

Thanks.
The only Bronze 6C Xeon is a 3104/3204 That is a 6 core without hyperthreading. and a FIXED max clock speed of 1.7 or 1.9Ghz. Most desktop builds will run circles around that. To get decent performance out of that CPU, you need to use all the resources possible. That means all SIX memory channels. Not 16GB RAM, but either 48GB or 96GB. You need SIX DIMMs.
I would say, you should look at refurb market. I don't think you have the budget to buy new.

Apr 14, 2021
Dont know enough about what the server config will be or the overall usage, size of the databases to hazard a guess but wanted to see just in case.
The Server will just house the NAV system. There will only be 5 devices to connect for sales uploading and postings, and inventory updates.

Apr 14, 2021
The only Bronze 6C Xeon is a 3104/3204 That is a 6 core without hyperthreading. and a FIXED max clock speed of 1.7 or 1.9Ghz. Most desktop builds will run circles around that. To get decent performance out of that CPU, you need to use all the resources possible. That means all SIX memory channels. Not 16GB RAM, but either 48GB or 96GB. You need SIX DIMMs.
I would say, you should look at refurb market. I don't think you have the budget to buy new.
Alright. Thanks for your input, and thanks for pointing out hyperthreading and clock speed. I'll take note of this one.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS