[SOLVED] Cost Effective Server

Apr 14, 2021
Hi there,

I would like to confirm if a Xeon Bronze 6C, with a 16 GB RAM can accomodate Windows Server 2019 Essentials, MS SQL Server 2019 Std + 5 Device CALs, and MS Navision 2009.

The company is on a tight budget right now which is why we are trying to see if any entry level server setup is possible.

Thanks.

Solution
Hi there,

I would like to confirm if a Xeon Bronze 6C, with a 16 GB RAM can accomodate Windows Server 2019 Essentials, MS SQL Server 2019 Std + 5 Device CALs, and MS Navision 2009.

The company is on a tight budget right now which is why we are trying to see if any entry level server setup is possible.

Thanks.
The only Bronze 6C Xeon is a 3104/3204 That is a 6 core without hyperthreading. and a FIXED max clock speed of 1.7 or 1.9Ghz. Most desktop builds will run circles around that. To get decent performance out of that CPU, you need to use all the resources possible. That means all SIX memory channels. Not 16GB RAM, but either 48GB or 96GB. You need SIX DIMMs.
I would say, you should look at refurb market. I...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there,

Thanks.
The only Bronze 6C Xeon is a 3104/3204 That is a 6 core without hyperthreading. and a FIXED max clock speed of 1.7 or 1.9Ghz. Most desktop builds will run circles around that. To get decent performance out of that CPU, you need to use all the resources possible. That means all SIX memory channels. Not 16GB RAM, but either 48GB or 96GB. You need SIX DIMMs.
I would say, you should look at refurb market. I don't think you have the budget to buy new.

Solution
Apr 14, 2021
I would say, you should look at refurb market. I don't think you have the budget to buy new.
Alright. Thanks for your input, and thanks for pointing out hyperthreading and clock speed. I'll take note of this one.

D

Deleted member 14196

If you’re running a database you’re going to need a decent amount of RAM and 8 GB isn’t going to cut it