Cost efficient A10 7850K build inside an Xbox 360 case

ThalesSousa

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Hi there, first of all, I'd like to know how good is this APU, like, what graphics card does it compare to.
But to the main topic, I'd like help choosing the components for this build. What I want:

Something I could game on, doesn't need to be a super ultra expensive 4k rig, 1080p low on GTA V for example is alright;

Something compact, that's why I want an APU. I know, there are mini itx cards out there, but I'm planning on doing something special, mounting it inside my bricked Xbox case, and I would need to get a riser card and it could mess up my perfomance, so I don't wanna deal with that (but if you know about a GPU and CPU combo that has a better bang for the buck than this, feel free to say it);

Low temps, maybe even overclock a bit. Yes, I realize what I'm asking for here, an overclocked Kaveri APU inside an Xbox 360 case that has almost no ventilation with moderately low temps. It probably won't work, but if you know a good low profile CPU cooler please tell me. I wouldn't try watercooling because of the amount of flex I would have to put on the pipes;

Nice, cheap ram, I know about the whole frequency thing, so I'm settling for 2133 or 2400 mhz, would like some suggestions, on both speeds preferably, I'm not sure if the extra money on the 2400 mhz sticks is really worth it ;

A micro atx or mini itx motherboard, wifi would be good, but it's not absolutely necessary, again, something cost efficient;

An ssd, really, just the cheapest ssd I can get. Since I'll be using it as sort of an htpc, if it's faster than a traditional hard drive and boots real fast, it's alright (except for those faulty ones that reduce their speeds after a year of use or so);

And the most problematic part, the PSU. It's a pain in the ass to find a PSU that fits inside an Xbox 360 case, there probably isn't actually. Here's a link to an image with its dimensions, if you can think about something that small, feel free to say it;

http://cdn.overclock.net/6/63/550x321px-LL-632fd9f6_xbox360dimensions.jpeg

So my plan was, either find a psu that fits inside the xbox, or do some crazy thing to make it work. I mean, the xbox has a power brick, so why shouldn't my pc have one? Yes, it sounds stupid, but if I could find a small, modular psu, I could just do some treatment to make it look better, not touch the ground, use a filter, simple things. Then join the cables I was going to use and pass them through the hole in the back (I'm not really sure how I'd do that, maybe sleeve them together?). Probably woudn't be so easy, I would end up with a rather bulky cable, but one of good things of using an apu is I woudn't even need a pcie cable, just the 24 pin atx, the 8 pin cpu, a sata one for the ssd and done.

Anyway, if anyone bothered to come this far and read the whole thing, thank you, could you please help me with this project?

TL; DR:
Need a cheap low profile cpu cooler, cheap high frequency ram, cheap mini itx or micro atx board and reeeeaally small modular psu;

Solution
The hp ps is 250 watts? I thought it was less and needed replacing. With a molex to pcie adaptor it might work.

The 960 is faster than the R7-370X (hd-7870) but uses less power. In fact the 960 is closer to the 380 (hd-7970) so underclocking and undervolting it is not so bad. The result should be a 100 watt card that is as fast as a overclocked HD-7870.

I believe there are 400 watt micro atx power supplies out there that fit in the hp sff. That would let you overclock the 960. Your going to have to make both the cpu and gpu fans have a custom hole to suck fresh air in and then case fans to exhaust the hot air out. Intake filters will likely be needed. (Often the open cell foam that comes with video card boxes or other items works...

Plumbus

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
I put one of these inside of a tiny case (using mini-itx board ASRock FM2+A88X).

So the part you're not going to like. Integrated graphics are still kinda meh. These are really good integrated graphics but they still really don't hold up that well with newer demanding games. I can maybe get 30 fps on BF4 on 720p low if nothing is happening. It mostly hangs around in the 20s. I overclocked to 4.5 ghz, turns out, overclocking the CPU doesn't add a whole hell of a lot. I OC'd the "gpu" clock to 1050mhz (base is set at 720mhz) and still not much in terms of improvement.

Where you do see some gains is in the ram. 2133 or 2400 is a must. I use 2400 but I'm unaware of the improvement over 2133. You might be ok with 2133 if there is a price break.

I love my SIlverstone AR05 low profile cooler. It works well and is absolutely tiny. I've since swapped the fan out (I had more clearance than I realized) but the heatsink is great. The fan is good too, about as slim as I've seen them come.

A normal SFX PSU is probably just a bit too tall for the case. You're going to have to be creative here.

My final two cents. Don't do it. It is really cool to get something compact and this idea is neat. However, if the chip doesn't live up to your expectations, you are stuck with a useless chip and mobo (and maybe PSU).

Good luck.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Look for a off lease HP SFF pc.
Most are sandybridge i5-2400 or i5-2500. Get a pcie extension cable so you can put the card sideways. (also some plastic or somehow make sure the side of the card does not short out onto the board) (of course a hole and fan grate will be needed to line up with the card's fans)
A geforce 960 should work with some modding. You will need to get a molex to pcie adaptor. If there are no molex plugs then you will have to find which wires are 12v and 5v and manually connect them.

You could also opt for a hp sff system that is the bit larger micro atx one. Same sandybridge again. Make a box for the power supply and extend the wires to the case. Nicely put the wires in a braided wiring loom or split plastic one. You can buy atx extension plugs so it's not so much work.
Get some solder and shrink tubing and automotive wire. A trailer wiring roll is the easiest and has 4 or 5 wires that are colored.

Most come with windows 7 64.

DO NOT GET THE ONE THAT USES A EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY AS THEY USE LAPTOP STYLE BOARDS, ALSO WATCH OUT AND DO NOT GET A DUAL CORE I5 CPU, SOME OF THE OEM ONES ARE CALLED A I5 BUT ARE REALLY A I3. GOOGLE THE CPU AND COMPUTER FIRST TO BE SURE IT'S MICRO ATX AND HAS A PCIE-16 SLOT.

ThalesSousa

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Wow, thanks guys, I'm just getting lots of ideas right now, I already gave up on the apu and high frequency ram, thanks to Plumbus.
But the HP SFF pc idea, that was brilliant, I just looked it up and found a guy who's selling the psu of that pc for about U$25.
It's only a 250W psu, but its form factor is just perfect, it's 175 mm long, 85 mm wide and 65 mm high, so it will have be sideways, but IT WILL FIT!
So now I just need to find some hardware that doesn't need a lot of power to be used. I thought about the 960, but I don't really like the idea of underclocking it, feels like a waste you know, it's like buying a Ferrari but without exceding 60 miles/hour, well the 960 isn't exactly a Ferrari, but you get my point. I was thinking about a 750ti, which could work, and if I needed to underclock it would be much less.
Also, about the case thing, I just really really want to do it this way, I know, it's irrational, but it's like I've got this emotional bond with my xbox, and it's just sitting here collecting dust, I need to do somehting about it.

need4speeds

Distinguished
The hp ps is 250 watts? I thought it was less and needed replacing. With a molex to pcie adaptor it might work.

The 960 is faster than the R7-370X (hd-7870) but uses less power. In fact the 960 is closer to the 380 (hd-7970) so underclocking and undervolting it is not so bad. The result should be a 100 watt card that is as fast as a overclocked HD-7870.

I believe there are 400 watt micro atx power supplies out there that fit in the hp sff. That would let you overclock the 960. Your going to have to make both the cpu and gpu fans have a custom hole to suck fresh air in and then case fans to exhaust the hot air out. Intake filters will likely be needed. (Often the open cell foam that comes with video card boxes or other items works well, or you can buy foam like that)

I meant to get the system to get the speedy i5-2400, board, 1tb drive, Memory and win7. The i5-2400 is close in speed to the FX-8350 for gaming but they are low wattage cpus. Of course a huge customer like HP-Compaq-emachines-gateway can tell intel they want the best binned sandybridges for their sff pc's that have poor cooling. And that is exactly what happened. Most of the Oem i5 2400 cpus are only about 70 watts under full load.

Solution

ThalesSousa

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

Does that really happen? If I were to get a "common" i5 do you think I would have problems? I would like to stay away from buying the whole thing because I already have some parts laying around, but if that's the case, I'm not really sure anymore.

need4speeds

Distinguished
The "common" i5 2400 consumer version uses about 20 watts more power so yes it happened. They order Millions of Dollars of cpus at a time from intel so yes intel is going to cater to who pays the bills first. Wouldn't you?

Most of the ones that didn't bin as lower wattage cpus were unlocked and sold as i5-2500K cpus. With a large cooler they proved to be great gaming cpus that overclocked well.

AMD did this too, I have a compaq that i made a special sealed garage computer out of it because the dust kills them. It has a special oem Brisbane X2 2.1ghz cpu that is only 35 watts. I found this computer discarded by a bin. It's slower than a turtle trying to run but works fine for the things i need it to do. It even came with Vista, it's like a anti-gaming machine. lol.