Cost of Blu-ray Players to Hit $50 in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
While the cost for production of a player is slated to drop to $50 next year, this is not an indication, nor a guarantee, of how much they will cost at retail. Manufacturers will likely be looking to maximize profit. That usually equates to keeping retail prices high while minimizing manufacturing costs.

What is keeping me from migrating to Blu-ray? Lack of a stand-alone recorder for the US market.

goleafsguy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I think the main reason for people not making the switch has nothing to do with the cost of discs and players themselves, but that most people still don't have an hd-tv.

dravis12

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I haven't made the switch yet because I prefer digital media.

Don't care so much about the cost of discs since netflix only charges +$1-$4 per month for Blu-Ray.

When I do get a BD player it will be for my home theater PC.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
When they remove the DRM crap I might start thinking about Blu-ray? Until then the Hollywood will not get a cent from me.

G

I have an HD-TV and still have no intention of wasting money on a Blu-Ray player. I can get HD Movies on demand.

erloas

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
A lot of people have HDTVs, not a lot of people however realize they are not getting HD content though. When you point it out, especially if you have something to compare with it is very obvious.
I can't stand the fact that my dad always watches the stretched 4:3 signal on his TV, its painfully obvious to me. But he doesn't seem to notice and doesn't like having black bars at all.
So he has no appreciation for what he might be missing by not going to blu-ray.

I've been thinking about it, but haven't yet. Maybe when they drop the price on a PS3, but even then I'm not so sure, mostly because I don't play a lot of consoles and I end up watching maybe 3-5 movies a year.
So my reason for not upgrading to blu-ray is simply that there aren't enough movies being made that I want to watch to justify the cost. I wouldn't even have a DVD player if it weren't for my PS2 (which is almost never used either) and the fact that all computers have them.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Finally! This same thing happened with DVD players. It was a great Holiday season when they fell to $30 for a DVD player just in time for Christmas shopping.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
The fact that those low cost BRPlayer are not the 'best' makes me want to keep moving my PS3 from my bedroom to my tv room every time I want to watch a movie.. :)

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]SAL-e[/nom]When they remove the DRM crap I might start thinking about Blu-ray? Until then the Hollywood will not get a cent from me.[/citation]
I think they'll consider that when people stop uploading movies to the internet without their consent ie torrents and file sharing websites.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
no, this is total BS. a blu ray player at the moment is about $300 [250-300] and you can find them cheaper if you bought the store brand name [such as insignia from best buy] or purchase a refurbished player. it won't exactly go down to $50 a year later. the decrease in price is too drastic. sony and their friends surely won't want to lose money just to sell something.

G

im looking forward for a piece of BD writable disc to cost the same as DVD-R now.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Again, it's the cost to build. Not the cost to buy. So if it's $50 to build, expect $75 - $100 on the shelves for even the name-brand stuff. Not bad at all.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
soldier37 your a moron !
Not every one is a spoiled little 13 y/o or has a tree growing platinum cards.
I thing over 4/5th of the world cant afford one and that includes the middle and lower class in every western world country.
If your stupid enugh to state that you know people who live on welfare that where able to buy them your even a bigger moron.

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
[citation][nom]jdfs[/nom]I have an HD-TV and still have no intention of wasting money on a Blu-Ray player. I can get HD Movies on demand.[/citation]
At 720p...

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
[citation][nom]hemelskonijn[/nom]soldier37 your a moron !Not every one is a spoiled little 13 y/o or has a tree growing platinum cards.I thing over 4/5th of the world cant afford one and that includes the middle and lower class in every western world country.If your stupid enugh to state that you know people who live on welfare that where able to buy them your even a bigger moron.[/citation]

While I agree his/her statement was a little short sighted your's is a little exagerated too. The majority of the middle class in the US could easily afford a small HDTV. I can find a 22" for under $200 and a 32" for under $400. The issue here is priorities, many people can't see the difference, especially on said el-cheapo flatscreen TV's. If they can't see a difference (on SD content) then why would they move? We won't see a mass migration to HD until the SD channels go the way of the dodo.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
$50 player, $49.00 discs. It is like printers; Printer, $45, ink, $54.
These companies seem to think that they are owed some ungodly large amount of payment for "artistic" works that are basically recycled trash. Even if it was a GOOD movie, it's value to me is significantly less than $49, or $39, or even $15. It is 90 minutes to maybe 3 hours of entertainment, and to me, that is worth maybe $7 and maybe worth watching a couple times, so $14, and that is for a GOOD movie, which only about one in 50 movies ever gets rated at or better. For the rest of the movies, they need to be priced around $8 or less.
Once that is settled, we get into digital rights management, also known to me as Digital Rights Denial. That reduces a DVD/BluRay disc to more or less valueless.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]chripuck[/nom]While I agree his/her statement was a little short sighted your's is a little exagerated too. The majority of the middle class in the US could easily afford a small HDTV. I can find a 22" for under $200 and a 32" for under $400. The issue here is priorities, many people can't see the difference, especially on said el-cheapo flatscreen TV's. If they can't see a difference (on SD content) then why would they move? We won't see a mass migration to HD until the SD channels go the way of the dodo.[/citation]

finally someone states the obvious. i think many posters on here believe the uptake of HD technology by THG readers corresponds to the uptake in the general population. i also believe HD is progressing slower than predicted because there isn't a whole lot of material worth watching in HD. if the material is good and captivates your imagination, the fidelity and depth of the background is really unimportant since focus should be on the actors and the foreground and who really, besides a miniscule minority, cares if you can see the pores and facial blemishes on the actors' faces? something that bothers me about HD, at least more so with older films reprocessed for HD, is that it's far easier to see all the crappy CGI and fake elements in movies than it is in SD.

foldsomething

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
My main reason for not going with bluray is that I don't want physical media anymore... I'd rather store movies on a hard drive or stream them online.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
stop shoveling blu-ray down consumers throats. They dont want it. You sold us on DVD and over million people were sold on HD-DVD....we are NOT going to repurchase our library and the upgrade isn't even worthwhile, despite what you audiophiles and videophiles think

Status
Not open for further replies.