Cost Reduction (Initial build was nothing but a pipe dream)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Hello, so awhile back I was on these forums to get some help putting together an awesome gaming PC, assuming that I could relatively quickly secure the funds to buy the required components... However I quickly realized that the $2200 computer I had come up with was nothing but a pipe dream, and that I would not in the foreseeable future be able to afford it.

So now, 6 months later here I am, still using my trusty 5 year old office turned gaming PC. However this time I have some funds, not as much as I would like, but I do have some.

Basically my goal now is to build a decent computer that'll hopefully last at least 4 years, and cost no more than the $600 - $700 range. Some of the components that I feel are a must is a decent quad-core processor, at least 8GB of RAM, and a decent graphics card.

The bonus items I'd prefer to have but aren't required is an optical drive capable of playing/writing DVD's and playing Blu-Ray's, A keyboard with macro keys and anti-ghosting, A mouse with more than just LMB/RMB/Wheel (Gaming mouse), Speakers separate from the screen, and an SSD drive. (That last one is probably a pipe dream for my price range.)

EDIT: Oh and also I would like the hard drive to be at least 1TB, preferably 2TB.

Anyways I may as well also link my old build here so you can see what my expectations were back then.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($247.98 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.50 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Corsair Neutron Series GTX 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($150.50 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($92.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($409.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($24.82 @ DirectCanada)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($22.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($74.50 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($103.52 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($166.18 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($166.18 @ DirectCanada)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($56.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse ($70.85 @ Newegg Canada)
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T20 Series II 28W 2ch Speakers ($103.50 @ Vuugo)
Headphones: Logitech G930 7.1 Channel Headset ($136.00 @ Vuugo)
Total: $2328.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-28 18:13 EST-0500)

stuperstrong

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
Idk much about the the case you bought, but with the corsair 500r I didn't even have to remind the mobo to install it because the back panel comes off. Chances are you won't do anything Cpu intensive, but he is right is saying stock can get pretty loud, so that would likely be the main benefit of going aftermarket. Might go for a lower prices cm aftermarket Cpu cooler just for noise reduction if that is a huge concern. I have the thermaltake NiC F3 on my current build, and while install was much cleaner/easier, I liked the 212 better.

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
If switching from a stock cooler to an aftermarket cooler, is it difficult to clean off the old thermal paste? Is there a recommended way to clean off the old thermal paste? And most importantly is it possible to damage the CPU while cleaning off the old thermal paste?

On another note, what's you opinion on an SSD drive? I keep hearing recommendations for them and have been looking at this one recently (http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7te120bw), of course my budget can't support it immediately, but I was wondering if there are any negative side effects of installing Windows 7 on the HDD until I can afford an SSD and then re-installing it on the SSD?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nice part of the 690 ii's design is you don't need to remove the mobo to swap out coolers. there is an access hole designed just for that inside the right side panel. Makes for an easy swap out, just be sure to clean the cpu right and use some decent thermal paste if the cooler doesn't come with any. Vids are available on youtube for proper application, and there is also here for correct procedure too.

With your cpu, you'll know if its being pushed on a stock cooler, it'll get loud. While I prefer silent systems, it'll be your choice in the end if the noise is something you can live with. On a stock clock, the stock cooler is rated as sufficient for cooling under normal usage. The biggest single advantage to good aftermarket coolers is heat exchange. The more heat exchanged, the cooler the cpu, the cooler the cpu, the longer its life expectancy, the longer the life expectancy, the more value you get for your money spent on cpu and cooler.

Since there is no overclock and no need for the higher cooling potential of the EVO, the 212Plus, or T4 are cheaper alternatives that will work just as well.

stuperstrong

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
I'd imagine it is possible to damage it if you are pretty clumsy, but otherwise it's relatively easy. Just get the highest % rubbing alcohol you can find and a clean lent free cloth (like the ones for glasses), wet the cloth a little and it should just wipe off and the alcohol dries quickly.

I own the evo 840 120gb ssd, and it's pretty decent, but it's also the first ssd I've owned, so I can't compare from experience.

You shouldn't have a problem reinstalling Windows though. I've heard the transferring files/etc can be a pain, but I'm certain it's manageable.

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Alright thanks for the input on the cooler Karadjgne, and I'll definitely be getting an aftermarket cooler when I can afford one. (probably in about 2 and a half weeks)

Thanks for the input stuperstrong, as for transferring the files I won't have to worry about much as I have an external 2TB HDD I can keep everything on for the time being until I can afford an SSD.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
SSD's are great for load times, I can boot up and be clicking online in 23 seconds flat, vrs the 2-3+ minutes of straight HDD. Also works well with frequently accessed programs and files and stuff like photo's that are used by the ssd as temp memory once accessed. makes my life easier than constantly having to wait for hdd to deliver. A side benefit is noise, my hdd spins at a very low rate, as set by hdd manufacturer, because for the most part its on hold, so spins up to full speed rarely. This will also prolong the life of the hdd as it isn't constantly worn in the same area by constant access by windows. SSD's are definitely a bonus for the price.

With installing the SSD on an Intel chip, best bet is to format the hdd and do a total clean install and take full advantage of Intel Fast Response Tech stuff... you'll have no worries. The Samsung 840 EVO is the best on the market as far as dependability, ease of use, controller etc. Very Recommended buy as far as SSD's go, and 120GB is perfect for OS and some higher priority games/programs

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Performance wise the 265 is slated to fill the spot between the 260x and the 270, in direct competition with the 660ti, so by itself is a great card. Reality wise, unless you have 2 identical systems sitting side by side, playing the same game at the same settings, you'll actually never be able to tell the difference between the 265 and the 270. Only your pocket will see the difference, so yes the 265 will be just great for you.

Rest of the build looks great too, should serve you well. Happy gaming and congrats on a good build :D