Cougar At CES 2017: New PSUs, Chassis, And Mice

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Please tell me that I did not see an Asetek rebranded Cougar cooler in that case and someone just placed a Cougar case badge on an Asetek cooler.

I started loosing faith in Cougar after they started doing gaming chairs but rebranded Asetek AIO units is where I would draw the line.

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013

Why don't you like Asetek?
I own a couple Cougar case fans and I really like them

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Asetek started to become a company I disliked since they started to innovate less and stifle innovation. From suing every company out there for making their own water cooling units like Swiftech and Coolermaster to discontinuing great coolers like the Asetek 760GC. Not the mention almost every AIO out here is just another rebeanded Asetek unit that all the OEM does is change the fans and the price.
Thermaltake [Asetek]
Antec [was Asetek now they put out horrendous stuff]
Zalman [RIP]
Intel [Also Asetek]
Corsair [Use to be CoolIT now mostly Asetek]

Asetek had something great, such as the 760GC. All they had to do was increase the size of the radiator to a 240 or a 280 but instead the swept it under the run and force users to buy 2 separate units to accomplish the same thing 1 unit could have by just improving the cold plate technology and radiator size.

As for Cougar, I brought 4 COUGAR CF-V12HPB Vortex about 5 year back, and they were great!! It wasn't until about a year later when I switched motherboards and connected them I realized as soon as I plugged them in to a PWM header they started clicking and grinding. I understood if it was 1 out of the 4 fans but not all 4. Cougar admitted the had an issue with the PWM circuit and they had to replace the fans with a fixed version so I RMAed them trough Cougar in which I had to pay shipping and the replacement fans did the same thing. It was then I noticed on the old board I ran them on 3pin fan headers and there was no noise. So I switched the headers on the new board to DC and no noise, switched them to PWM and the noise came back. So the fans were great, I just couldn't run them via PWM which defeated the purpose of paying $16 per fan for PWM.

I still use all 4 COUGAR CF-V12HPB Vortex to this day via DC along with 3 COUGAR CF-V14HB which are only 3pin. But after this fan experience I said I would not touch another Cougar product even though they were putting out some great looking cases over the years, but now it just seems they are just copying the competition with RGB everywhere when they started with LED fans now its mice and keyboards and gaming chairs so they do not know what direction they want to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.