Cougar Cooling fans

XFA24

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
are Cougar fans any good?

specifically these ones http://www.cougar-world.com/products/fans/dual_x_blue_l...

-thanks in advance!

Solution
Yes, Cougar makes very decent fans for the price. Especially the PWM 120 and 140mm models. Not sure which ones exactly you are referring to since your linked page shows a bunch of them, but I've used them in many builds when the price of Noctua fans wasn't possible with the budget and they have worked admirably.

The sound levels are acceptable and the performance and reliability has been good.

Yes, Cougar makes very decent fans for the price. Especially the PWM 120 and 140mm models. Not sure which ones exactly you are referring to since your linked page shows a bunch of them, but I've used them in many builds when the price of Noctua fans wasn't possible with the budget and they have worked admirably.

The sound levels are acceptable and the performance and reliability has been good.

Solution
Vortex HDB fans from Cougar are very good performers. Their noise level measured in dB is approx 19 which is very good indicator of low noise and with 1200 RPM you would get near around 70 CFM which is again a indicator of good air flow. Nice choice, you have got there.

One larger fan is always, well, almost always depending on the fan, better than two smaller fans. A single larger fan will flow the same or more air volume with a lower noise level and less turbulence than two fans will since it can do the same job at a lower RPM.

The 230mm version of the Bitfenix fan moves 156 CFM at max. The two 140mm fans together are only 146 CFM at max. Overall sound levels are likely similar at max.

Bitfenix makes fairly decent products so I'd be surprised if their fans were any different. The Bitfenix fans I've encountered that came with Comrade and Shenobi cases were well constructed and have so far held up well so far as I know. I'm sure I'd have heard if there were issues with the fans in any of the builds I've done using them.

TRENDING THREADS