Review Cougar Forza 85 Review: Quiet, Capable Cat

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
$69 ? too expensive,

The Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE is 35$ and comes within 1c of the big noctua

I use it with the 3900x , really amazing temps. included fans are really good.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can check the reviews / data I didn't bookmark any of them.

One of the charts here they have it at 165w 38db noise and NH-D15 is only 1c better

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASeu5BjaVJo
Why people not do Aida FPU only? Cpu + FPU is actually a softer test... Well, at least it wasn't cpu + FPU + cache, that's even softer.
At the 165w chart, it does 1C better while being almost 2 times louder(at minimum), and most users don't run their fans at 100% anyway. So while there's extra performance to be had, not many are going to utilize it.
That price is definitely hard to beat... though Thermalright's support and availability is a bit lacking in the US, which stops me from diving in on their products.
If I wanted to get replacement fans, or use some as case fans, I'm screwed.

My curiosity has been disappointed by the Thermalright Noctua Killer claims before: I did a Vs using the Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Rev. B and True Spirit 140 Power against the NH-D15S on the 7820X, and they didn't really 'kill' it, from what I remember.
Swapped fans between the 3, tried different case fan configs... D15S came out on top almost every time. The almost comes from the IB-E just barely beating out the D15S in single fan mode while being much louder to do it.
Add a second fan to D15S, and it lost in cooling too - though just as slightly.
The TS140P was far behind both by almost 10 degrees(C)... At least it was quieter than the other 2? Until I tried the 2 TY-143, IPPC 3000 140mm on it...

Some of these older reviews out there were testing with quad core i5s and whatnot, in which some of the Thermalright coolers are more efficient than Noctua's at lower heat loads.
When testing a cooler, one should at least be using a hot and heavy cpu, or a dummy heater...

Reactions: Albert.Thomas

kjfatl

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
I would like to see high speed images what happens to the motherboard when the CPU box is dropped a few inches. Does it flex the motherboard enough to damage the solder joints on the BGA's of nearby components. Does it crack nearby capacitors? I considered buying a similar product when I did a recent Alder Lake build but was concerned about damage when stupid things happen, like the cat or a kid knocking over the CPU box.

If this test is done, it should include x-ray analysis of the motherboard before and after 2 drops on each axis.

** This sort of test was something we actually did on systems I designed in the past. If I recall correctly, we did a 4 inch drop of the product itself and a 36 inch drop of the product in it's shipping container.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hi Albert

Just a heads-up: You're missing the AK620 from several of the graphs, and you're also missing it from the test setup table.

Thanks for the review!

Cheers,
Andrew

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
though Thermalright's support and availability is a bit lacking in the US, which stops me from diving in on their products.
If I wanted to get replacement fans, or use some as case fans, I'm screwed.
I wish Noctua had a better presence in South Africa, but from talking to retailers they appear to have an exclusivity agreement with one company here.

DeepCool, on the other hand, I've experienced excellent support from when my Gammax 400's mounting mechanism broke after five years of use. No problem, they mailed me a new one plus I had the opportunity to order extra fans directly from them for next to nothing.

TRENDING THREADS