Question Could a bad SSD cause the monitors to randomly disconnect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2022
My monitors will randomly shut off and lose their signal. Almost like the computer has gone to sleep, but it's still active, except the net sorta disconnects too..

This is really weird, and I'm dumbfounded by it. My computer will boot and run just fine (sometimes for days) and then the monitors go black and they won't turn back on. I have to completely shut off the computer and turn it back on and then the monitors will work til it randomly happens again. Doesn't matter if I'm gaming or if the computer is idle, the issue is completely random. If I'm talking to someone on discord when it happens, I can still hear them, but they can't hear me, and it disconnects me from games.

• The CPU and Video Card are not overheating. They stay cool even under load.
  • I've run stress tests and memory checks on the Vid Card, Ram, and SSD, but everything comes back with great stats and no issues
  • I've tested multiple monitors and monitor cables, so they're not the problem.
  • I've formatted and reinstalled windows and the issue persists.
As a test, I installed windows onto a flash drive, and the issue seems to be fixed! I ran it for over 2 weeks straight on a flash drive and the monitors never shut off. Which leads to my question.. Is it possible the SSD could be causing this strange issue, even if Samsung Magician says the drive is completely healthy?

Feb 13, 2022
I'm still having this issue and haven't gotten any help. I changed to a different harddrive and the problem persisted. Just changed to a new PSU and the monitors went black this morning... So now I'm down to the mobo or vid card. But I've run stress tests on the vid card with no issues. And the problem doesn't occur when I run windows off a flash drive... This is so weird and annoying!!!

Feb 13, 2022
hey, i think i may have the same problem, have you found any solutions yet?
I used a different video card and STILL have the issue.. So I was ready to accept that the mobo is bad... HOWEVER, I just found this thread. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...9-and-x99-chipset-black-screen-issues-thread/

Apparently there is an issue between some of corsair's software and window's 10 drivers, that causes a conflict with x79 motherboards. So before I buy a different x79 mobo, I'm going to try some of these fixes. I'm using a corsair heatsink, so I'll disable any active software running in the background. And if that doesn't work, I'll try a fresh install of windows while offline, and install the graphics drivers manually. ...Such a pain in the ass

Last edited:

JayT204500

Prominent
May 6, 2022
This seems like a Video card or Memory issue. Change out the ram with brand new sticks. Replace your current video card with a card you know works. Try different cables. try switching from HDMI to Displayport. or switch from one to the other. An SSD would not cause this. It would cause blue screen error issues. And I wouldnt bother reinstalling windows, thats not the problem.
Another thing to try is download the latest driver for your monitor. A bad monitor could be the problem as well.

Feb 13, 2022
It seems the issue was software on my HDD that wasn't on my flashdrive. I have a corsair water cooler for my heatsink. And their software has a conflict with all x79 motherboards! I never would have dreamed that heatsink software would cause my monitors to go black >_<

In the BIOS I also disabled VTD and enabled the CPUID limit. Not sure if those did anything.

Corsair should really fix their software, cuz that's a huge problem! And I've been trying to fix it for months now!! Testing my hardware in tons of ways, when it was some stupid background program for heatsink stats?!? That's ridiculous, but I'm glad this annoyance is over!

Apr 20, 2024
I used to have the same issue. After I took it to some guys to fix, I found that the SSD was at fault. They tried to delete the windows but it reinstalled itself, deleting the files that should've been kept untouched. After removing the SSD (I had 2 of them), the monitor didn't have issues and everything's still in a good shape (this happened around 6 months ago). We tried to reinstall the SSD but the pc was unable to turn on the screen at all. One of the fixing guys told me he had the similar thing but the problem deleted his data on all of the other drives and that the problem might've been caused by the virus. I still have no idea what that was connected to. Also, I switched the power supply that day, cause the old one was overheating the gpu and had almost fully melted into the socket.

I had
SSD - TeamGroup 512GB CX2
Motherboard - BioStar H510MH 2.0
GPU - rtx 3060ti (8gb)
RAM - 32gb DDR4 (though the problem was there even when I had one 16gb stick)

Status
Not open for further replies.