[SOLVED] Could a BIOS setting prevent Windows 10 from detecting my 2nd HDD ?

Nov 8, 2021
Hi there,

I have just added a 2nd NVMe PCIe SSD to my Acer Nitro 5 (515-55) as the 1st HDD is nearly out of space.

Within the BIOS I can see both HDD0 (original with Windows 10 installed) and HDD1 (new).

Unfortunately when Windows 10 boots up I am unable to see the new drive in 'Disk Management'. (i.e. only the original Disk 0 is listed and there is no Disk 1 visible).

Reading forums I am wondering if some sort of BIOS setting change may be needed for Windows 10 to detect the new HDD ?

Could any of these settings make a difference?
  1. change SATA mode from 'RST' to 'AHCI' (may have nothing to do with this as these are M.2 drives)
  2. change UEFI to Legacy
Anything else?

Otherwise could there be some sort of Windows 10 software to detect it properly?

Many thanks,

Solution
Otherwise could there be some sort of Windows 10 software to detect it properly?
What nvme drive is it? Model name of the drive?

You have to install nvme driver, for drive to be usable.
You can get driver from Intel or Samsung.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...microsoft-windows-drivers-for-intel-ssds.html

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please don't change the BIOS settings from UEFI to CSM(Legacy) this will hamper your OSes behavior. What BIOS version are you on for your laptop? As for your SSD, mind sharing a link or at the very least the make and model of the SSD? Under Disk Drives listed in Device Manager, what do you see? What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with?

Reactions: JohnW9
What nvme drive is it? Model name of the drive?

You have to install nvme driver, for drive to be usable.
You can get driver from Intel or Samsung.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...microsoft-windows-drivers-for-intel-ssds.html

Reactions: JohnW9
Solution
Nov 8, 2021
Hi there Lutfij and SkyNetRising. Thanks so much for the prompt replies!

I have actually managed to solve the issue by simply swapping the two NVMe SSDs around:
- original 512GB NMVe was moved from slot 1 to the 2nd unused slot; and
- the new 2000GB Crucial P2 NVMe which was not being detected by Windows in the 2nd slot I added to the 1st slot and it both were detected by windows!

Root cause is a bit of a mystery as both should work in both slots (I don't think there is a capacity issue), both were detected by BIOS, new 2000GB SSD I removed and reinserted multiple times without success in the 2nd slot....?!?

Lutfij - I will make sure I hold off on BIOS setting changes in future if I have other issues.

SkyNetRising - I had downloaded the NVMe driver from the Crucial website when I was trying to resolve prior to my post so it may be that those also assisted it working in the end as well.

Thanks again!