Could a BIOS update help with poor grapical performance?

redvandam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I am playing a game that my system should be able to run better then it currently is so I am making the rounds updating my drivers.

My video card and processor both have been updated but my BIOS has never been updated since since I got the computer last year or so.

Since I got a couple warnings about how dangerous BIOS updates can be I thought I'd ask if it would even have an effect on my gaming before I did it.

My motherboard is an Asus M2NPV-VM.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
BIOS update will probably not help your gaming performance in the slightest...

Post your spec and what you are running and someone here should be able to give you an idea if you are ok or under what you should get.

redvandam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
8800GT
3 gigs ddr2
AMD 64 X2 5200+

My comp is decent and I've been told my CPU isn't bottlenecking my GPU. So I am at a loss as to why my FPS are so bad at a particular game. (Age of Conan)

widbays

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I learned from a mistake, never under all cirsumstances ever try to update the BIOS if your system running stable and smooth!! The only solution to improve your graphic performance, is to upgrade your current GPU.

Currently I'm running Crysis on 8800GTS 640MB with 1280x1024 res and 4xAA, the game run smoothly with E8400 factory clock, 4GB Memory, XP-64bit. I was planning to upgrade with 9800GX2 in the very short time.

Again, the only reason to update the BIOS if you find out that your system is running creepy all the sudden or the old BIOS doesn't support a new peripherals like CPU or memory for instance because the bus frequency is different on the new one. So, check with your Mobo manufacture, sometimes you need to update 1.xx BIOS version first before updating the 2.xx version.

ReniReturns

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I was having serious performance issues with skyrim for the past 3 weeks, and having tried all other avenues mods etc., I updated my bios from A09 to A11 yesterday using an official dell update. The game performance is vastly improved. I never realised that it would make such a difference,