Could a dead cmos battery cause audio driver problems on reboot?

thedonquixotic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Friend gave me an old mobo that he had lying around. I put it in my rig but couldn't get sound. Thought it might be the audio drivers sense they weren't installed. Installed them, and it requires a restart. I restart but don't see the drivers and there's no sound.

I'm thinking it might be the cmos battery is dead since it's been unused for a couple of years. Thoughts?

Solution
If the CMOS battery is dead you can usually figure that out by unplugging the ATX connector (or unplugging it from the wall and waiting a few minutes for the PSU's capacitors to empty), which forces the battery to maintain the settings. If the battery is dead when you reconnect it and power it on it will warn you that the time is not set. If you then go into the BIOS you'll find that it's basically been reset to the default settings. No need to change anything in particular, it will simply forget the time by itself.

From your description, this sounds like a software issue related to the drivers and the OS and therefore has nothing to do with a CR1232 battery on the motherboard.

joex444

Distinguished
If the CMOS battery is dead you can usually figure that out by unplugging the ATX connector (or unplugging it from the wall and waiting a few minutes for the PSU's capacitors to empty), which forces the battery to maintain the settings. If the battery is dead when you reconnect it and power it on it will warn you that the time is not set. If you then go into the BIOS you'll find that it's basically been reset to the default settings. No need to change anything in particular, it will simply forget the time by itself.

From your description, this sounds like a software issue related to the drivers and the OS and therefore has nothing to do with a CR1232 battery on the motherboard.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS