Question Could a dying PSU lead to dimming of RGBs & freezing computer?

Cluelessguys

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Hello, so awhile ago I purchased a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM because my motherboard of 5 years gave out on me. I noticed that my CPU temps were a bit high so I purchased a Thermaltake Commander C31 case and a Coolermaster MasterLiquid ML240L V2 RGB AIO cooler. Both of which sport RGBs on them. After doing the switch into my new tower, the RGBs in it were working fine until I unplugged the SATA power cable from it to test a HDD that I found out was dead, then the RBGs became a dim blue, which were around the fans and slowly it got dimmer and dimmer as the RGBs on the fan blades started going out. The RGB button on the case does absolutely nothing. I called Thermaltake and they said they would send me a new control board because they thought that that must be the issue, today it arrived and I swapped it out, and the results have not changed. The AIO pump also is supposed to have RGBs on the fans on the top of my case, but when plugged up the only RGB that is visible and controllable is the pump atop the CPU. To top it off, every so often when I leave the room or take off the side panel to assess it, my Computer will be frozen. My PSU is about 5 years old, it is a Thermaltake SmartM850W Bronze 80+. I've heard that there are a number of ways a dying PSU can affect a system, I'm not sure if these issues have other possible causes other than that that I should look into before spending an arm and a leg for a new PSU during this whole pandemic hullabaloo. Thank you for reading!

Specs:
Mobo: ASUS TUF B450 Pro-Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
RAM: Geil 3600ms 16GB
PSU: ThermalTake SmartM850W Bronze 80