Could a faulty gpu ruins a brand new psu?

Yeos Kobrata

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
So i took my pc to the shop, as it has been restarting randomly, i figured it must be the psu.

Sure enough the ppl from the shop said it was the psu, bu hr said the problem is also on the gpu.
Because im not wanting to buy a new gpu right now, i said just replace the psu only.

Then he said not to plug the gpu into the new psu as it will ruin the new psu. I want to know if this is possible?

Solution
If the GPU has a short, it can draw unlimited current from the PSU (until something happens).
If the PSU has working protections it will pick up on this short and safely shutdown. Sometimes even with a full set of working protections the PSU doesn't pick up on the short.
Otherwise voltages will go out of spec potentially damaging other components, the wires can melt, components in the PSU will break, etc.

Another example is if the power supply is crap, or too low wattage, adding a GPU could exceed the PSU ratings or cause the PSU to deliver out of spec voltages (higher load = voltage drop).

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
If the GPU has a short, it can draw unlimited current from the PSU (until something happens).
If the PSU has working protections it will pick up on this short and safely shutdown. Sometimes even with a full set of working protections the PSU doesn't pick up on the short.
Otherwise voltages will go out of spec potentially damaging other components, the wires can melt, components in the PSU will break, etc.

Another example is if the power supply is crap, or too low wattage, adding a GPU could exceed the PSU ratings or cause the PSU to deliver out of spec voltages (higher load = voltage drop).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS