Question Could a faulty hard drive kill a motherboard?

May 16, 2020
Hello All,

Pretty silly question but I was just wondering if a hard drive could kill a motherboard?

Regards,

Mick.

I would think it's possible. Like if there were a short in the circuit that the SATA data cable connects to. This could cause excess current in the SATA data circuit on the MB and possibly damage the MB. I imagine there might be protections for this....but also....maybe not.

May 16, 2020
Thanks Jay,

Ive just installed a new mobo and cpu and using the old Hard drive I had previously. Maybe im just paranoid the SATA cables are all new so I don't think there would be a problem with those. I just didn't want the old hard drive creating any issues at the cost of saving a few £'s as the previous mobo is dead wasn't sure of the problem so I think it'll be ok hopefully.

Thanks Jay,

Ive just installed a new mobo and cpu and using the old Hard drive I had previously. Maybe im just paranoid the SATA cables are all new so I don't think there would be a problem with those. I just didn't want the old hard drive creating any issues at the cost of saving a few £'s as the previous mobo is dead wasn't sure of the problem so I think it'll be ok hopefully.
If you don't know of anything specifically wrong with the drive....and if it's just old....I wouldn't be concerned.

Reactions: Mick19