Question Could a faulty psu or a faulty psu cable kill my ram?

Mar 18, 2023
The difference between my old system and my new system:
1) Different motherboard
2) Different Set of RAM (both died)

Similarities between my old system and my new system:
1)Same Power Supply
2)Same case
3)Same cpu
4)Same SSD

Cpu:
i7 3770

Ram:

Team Group Elite 32gb 1600mhz (8gbx4) (old)
Kingston Fury Hyper X 16gb 1600mhz (8gbx2) (new)

Mobo:
Intel dh77kc (Old)
Asrock h77 Pro4/MVP (New)

Gpu:
6600xt

Psu:
evga 700br

Storage:
240gb ssd

Could a faulty psu or a faulty psu cable due to cable management be the reason to killing both of my ram kits?

rgd1101

Don't
you mean when you oc the system wrong?

This is going to be a winded post about try to sort out if the PSU is capable of killing RAM:
  • There's only two ways you can kill electronics: applying a high enough voltage or excessive current.
    • High enough voltage tends to be the silent killer
    • Excessive current tends to be more dramatic, since it leads to overheating and the magic smoke disappearing
  • RAM modules aren't fed power directly from the PSU, it has to come form the VRM. So any excess voltage would have to come from the VRM.
  • It likely isn't excessive current, because you'd probably smell something burnt. Plus it would require a short somewhere.
    • There likely isn't a short on the slot itself, at least if I'm reading the pin out correctly. It doesn't seem like any of the power supplying lines are near the ground lines
  • Moving up the power delivery chain, there's the VRM
    • There's three major components: the IC that does the voltage regulation, chokes (which are basically inductors) and capcitors
    • I'd imagine the design of the IC, at least with an IC from a reputable manufacturer, would fail safely. Or at the least, those down range won't be affected (so you're not feeding 12V into a part that only wants 1.5V)
    • Inductors are basically a coil of wire. The only failure mechanisms there are either the coil got so hot it fused together (which I'm sure would be very obvious) or it cracked, which means no electricity is getting to the parts down range, at least for that phase.
    • The capacitors used can fail to a short circuit state from what I can gather. However, since these are typically filtering capacitors and are connected to ground, all the electricity going through the VRM at that point is going to be dumped to ground and not touch the parts down range if they do fail to a short circuit state
  • Moving further up the chain, we have the PSU itself
    • The only way a PSU could fry something down range is the voltage shot up. Too low of a voltage is not harmful to parts, it just causes instability.
    • Excess current isn't really possible since that depends on the load of the parts down range, and any short in the PSU wouldn't go down range anyway (electricity will take the path of least resistance after all)
    • If excess voltage is the problem, then that would definitely damage more than RAM. There's no lines that are specifically for RAM.
Also I'm not sure how you're concluding the RAM died, other than me inferring the system just doesn't want to boot.

Mar 18, 2023
This is going to be a winded post about try to sort out if the PSU is capable of killing RAM:
  • There's only two ways you can kill electronics: applying a high enough voltage or excessive current.
    • High enough voltage tends to be the silent killer
    • Excessive current tends to be more dramatic, since it leads to overheating and the magic smoke disappearing
  • RAM modules aren't fed power directly from the PSU, it has to come form the VRM. So any excess voltage would have to come from the VRM.
  • It likely isn't excessive current, because you'd probably smell something burnt. Plus it would require a short somewhere.
    • There likely isn't a short on the slot itself, at least if I'm reading the pin out correctly. It doesn't seem like any of the power supplying lines are near the ground lines
  • Moving up the power delivery chain, there's the VRM
    • There's three major components: the IC that does the voltage regulation, chokes (which are basically inductors) and capcitors
    • I'd imagine the design of the IC, at least with an IC from a reputable manufacturer, would fail safely. Or at the least, those down range won't be affected (so you're not feeding 12V into a part that only wants 1.5V)
    • Inductors are basically a coil of wire. The only failure mechanisms there are either the coil got so hot it fused together (which I'm sure would be very obvious) or it cracked, which means no electricity is getting to the parts down range, at least for that phase.
    • The capacitors used can fail to a short circuit state from what I can gather. However, since these are typically filtering capacitors and are connected to ground, all the electricity going through the VRM at that point is going to be dumped to ground and not touch the parts down range if they do fail to a short circuit state
  • Moving further up the chain, we have the PSU itself
    • The only way a PSU could fry something down range is the voltage shot up. Too low of a voltage is not harmful to parts, it just causes instability.
    • Excess current isn't really possible since that depends on the load of the parts down range, and any short in the PSU wouldn't go down range anyway (electricity will take the path of least resistance after all)
    • If excess voltage is the problem, then that would definitely damage more than RAM. There's no lines that are specifically for RAM.
Also I'm not sure how you're concluding the RAM died, other than me inferring the system just doesn't want to boot.
Good thing there isnt any burnt smell coming from the any of the ram sticks. My cousin has a system that is nearly identical. His ram works perfectly on my system but when i place my ram into his system, his system cant boot too.
Could it be that it was a coincidence for the new ram was faulty too?

Last edited: