Could a planned power disconnection damage hardware?

Daley1992

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
Today, my PC was powered on and I was gaming. The PC along with the entire house lost power and it turned out there was a scheduled outage in my street I wasn't aware of. I unplugged the PC power cables from their power board and plugged them back in a while after power had returned.

My question is whether it is likely any hardware may have been damaged when the power was disconnected? If so, how would I be able to tell/find out?

I'm a bit paranoid since I've lost a GPU to a surge that accompanied a blackout a couple of years back. This is the first time this PC has been on at the time of a power outage, and I'm pretty sure the power board has some level of surge protection. The PC has started fine, but I haven't gamed or anything yet.

Advice/comments would be much appreciated, cheers

dudio

Honorable
Apr 26, 2015
2 things right off the bat that I would do is invest in a good quality surge suppression connection for anything valuable. You don't have to pay $100 for some Monster rip off, but you want a respectable name that also offers a guarantee connected to it (I imagine the fine print is crazy tho).
The 2nd thing is go into the BIOS and disable auto start after power loss.

dudio

Honorable
Apr 26, 2015
2 things right off the bat that I would do is invest in a good quality surge suppression connection for anything valuable. You don't have to pay $100 for some Monster rip off, but you want a respectable name that also offers a guarantee connected to it (I imagine the fine print is crazy tho).
The 2nd thing is go into the BIOS and disable auto start after power loss.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS