Question Could a power supply be bottlenecking my performance?

noahmorgans

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Just build a brand new computer about three months ago. We've got a 2070 super, 3700x, 32 gb of ram, and a Corsair rx650W power supply. I am getting low framerates on a block game that this just shouldn't be happening in. In task manager, my CPU and GPU are only around 45%ish usage with no background application. However, the power usage is very high. Is there any chance this is my problem?

tequiling

Prominent
May 2, 2020
Your power supply doesn't have inpact on your component's performanse
The only thing that a power supply do is to deliver a current power to your components
Try to run a triple A game and see results if they are low you got a problem i think

noahmorgans

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Your power supply doesn't have inpact on your component's performanse
The only thing that a power supply do is to deliver a current power to your components
Try to run a triple A game and see results if they are low you got a problem i think
Everything is fine in Modern Warfare. Is there any way I can get my cpu and gpu working more than 45%?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ahh. You are misinformed.

Cpus/gpus always run at 100% ability. Usage is the amount of resources the cpu needs access to in order to get that 100%. It's a measure of how much the cpu uses, not of how much of the cpu is used.

So say a cpu can pre-render 100 frames in a second, it might only need 45% of its Lcache, 45% of the ram bandwidth, 45% of the cores, 45% of the bandwidth of those cores etc in order to get that 100fps. A frame takes time to render, the code has to be deciphered, objects placed, specs on movement sorted, interactives, background etc. That time is a measure of the cpus instructions per clock (IPC), the clock speeds etc, so regardless of the amount of resources used, the cpu can only render 'X' amount of frames per second. Stronger cpus can do more, weaker cpus only do less.

Imagine you need to drink 12oz of water to swallow a pill. Won't make a difference to how fast you drink if I give you a 16oz glass with 12oz in it or a 44oz glass with 12oz in it. You only need 12oz for that 1 pill. Same with a cpu, it might be capable of using 128oz, but if it only needs 12oz, that's what it'll use to render a frame, the amount of frames being a measure of how Fast it can drink, not how Much.

And No, the Corsair RMx is an excellent psu, and perfectly sized for your build. Just how are you deciding its 'very high power usage'?

noahmorgans

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Ahh. You are misinformed.

Cpus/gpus always run at 100% ability. Usage is the amount of resources the cpu needs access to in order to get that 100%. It's a measure of how much the cpu uses, not of how much of the cpu is used.

So say a cpu can pre-render 100 frames in a second, it might only need 45% of its Lcache, 45% of the ram bandwidth, 45% of the cores, 45% of the bandwidth of those cores etc in order to get that 100fps. A frame takes time to render, the code has to be deciphered, objects placed, specs on movement sorted, interactives, background etc. That time is a measure of the cpus instructions per clock (IPC), the clock speeds etc, so regardless of the amount of resources used, the cpu can only render 'X' amount of frames per second. Stronger cpus can do more, weaker cpus only do less.

Imagine you need to drink 12oz of water to swallow a pill. Won't make a difference to how fast you drink if I give you a 16oz glass with 12oz in it or a 44oz glass with 12oz in it. You only need 12oz for that 1 pill. Same with a cpu, it might be capable of using 128oz, but if it only needs 12oz, that's what it'll use to render a frame, the amount of frames being a measure of how Fast it can drink, not how Much.

And No, the Corsair RMx is an excellent psu, and perfectly sized for your build. Just how are you deciding its 'very high power usage'?
I decided the power usage is very high from task manager.

I understand what you are explaining to me, but I am pretty sure I still have an issue. I compared with someone with a 2060 super, same CPU, and 16 gigs of ram and they were outperforming me on much better settings. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

tequiling

Prominent
May 2, 2020
I decided the power usage is very high from task manager.

I understand what you are explaining to me, but I am pretty sure I still have an issue. I compared with someone with a 2060 super, same CPU, and 16 gigs of ram and they were outperforming me on much better settings. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?
Yeah power usage means nothing there
Whats your RAM speed ?
What resolution you are playing at ?