[SOLVED] Could burnt card damage pci slot

Jan 18, 2020
Hi, last Saturday my gtx 970 burnt and I could smell that directly from gpu processing unit after taking off cooling part. Now when I changed the gpu for gtx 650 ( temporary) in the same pci slot. My resolution is blocked at the lowest where I can't even read anything. I installed drivers and I couldn't change anything . Then I changed pci slot and still can't change resolution . Is there possibility that the gtx 970 damaged the mobo and that's why I can't change resolution?
cpu : Ryzen 5 3600
32 gb ram 3200 mhz crucial
mobo: msi x570 gaming plus
psu : silentiumpc Vero l2 600W
Btw. i didot smell anything from other components , just the old 970.

Solution
the drivers for the 970 should work fine with the 650. If you have integrated graphics try connecting the monitor there check if u can switch resolutions.

The motherboard doesn t cares about resolutions, monitor does. might have fried a sensible part in the monitor. And a defective PCIE slot would most likely cause other cards not to work at all.

jodo_kast2

Prominent
Mar 5, 2018
the drivers for the 970 should work fine with the 650. If you have integrated graphics try connecting the monitor there check if u can switch resolutions.

The motherboard doesn t cares about resolutions, monitor does. might have fried a sensible part in the monitor. And a defective PCIE slot would most likely cause other cards not to work at all.

Solution

jodo_kast2

Prominent
Mar 5, 2018

How about trying the 650 with the tv (HDMI) first?