Question Could CPU feedback in headphones be caused by the io shield?

Dec 5, 2020
About six months ago I build my first system and it's worked fine except for a buzzing in my headphones. I haven't bothered to do anything about it because it's quiet enough that I don't hear it if I have music on or anything, but it's an odd problem and I would like to fix it.

I'm pretty sure it is CPU feedback causing it because it occurs every time I move my mouse but this seems to only happen on old mobos and I'm using the b450 Aorus m.

When I was building my system I struggled to get the motherboard holes lined up with the case standoffs so I tore off the squishy foil part on the back of the IO shield which I wasn't sure was supposed to be there or not. In hindsight that was probably pretty dumb but could that be causing the problem or is it a faulty mobo? The buzzing is in both the front and rear audio jacks and I don't have USB headphones to test if it happens through USB.

If that is the problem is there any reason I shouldn't just remove the IO shield?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It's good to have padding on the I/O shield to prevent the motherboard's ports from bumping and scratching the shield. It adds isolation from the shield, nothing more or nothing less.

I'd advise on first stating the make and model of your PSU and it's age(6 months old?). then Check the BIOS version for your motherboard and scope out if you have BIOS updates pending as well as drivers for the audio solution. Speaking of audio solution, what is your audio equipment?

Dec 5, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It's good to have padding on the I/O shield to prevent the motherboard's ports from bumping and scratching the shield. It adds isolation from the shield, nothing more or nothing less.

I'd advise on first stating the make and model of your PSU and it's age(6 months old?). then Check the BIOS version for your motherboard and scope out if you have BIOS updates pending as well as drivers for the audio solution. Speaking of audio solution, what is your audio equipment?
The PSU is an EVGA 600 BR bought new 6 or 7 months ago. The bios is version F50 and there are newer versions available, F51 and F60c, but I've never flashed a bios before so I'm a bit nervous to do that. Audio drivers are up to date and the equipment is just a HyperX cloud headset.