[SOLVED] Could do with some help issue booting in normal start up

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
I wonder if anyone here can shed some light as to why I can't boot in Normal start up only Selective works!

Running the following spec.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit version 19042.928 UEFI
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
32GB ram
WD SSD Black edition
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 super

I have tried updating OS to latest version but still the same issues exist.
UEFI is selected in bios and have tried disabling enabling Secure boot but that makes no difference
I have Installed fresh copy on my new SSD above and still same outcome. It's always set to Selective start up and boot time always ligers so after creating boot log find that "dxkrnl.sys" loads ok but then on next line reports,
" BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys" this is always the same outcome!
So if I choose Normal start up when I boot it can not find and boot info or loader it's like it's not there and the only way I can get my system back is by a recovery image as all other options fail to sort it.
from what I've read it is failing to find the BCD which is housed on another hidden partition created by Windows and obviously has no drive letter!. what I can make out is the system seems to not have the correct boot directory in memory for the boot loader I have tried diskpart and gone through the motions of assigning drive letter to hidden drive and backing up and creating a new BCD but always seem to hit an issue some where down the line.
I'm able to find the the directories and after assigning drive letter to the Hidden drive windows uses for the BCD I then try this command but just end up with list of command line tools details!
K:\EFI\Microsoft\boot\Boot\bcdboot C:\Windows /s V: /f UEFI
it reports
Failure when initialising library system volume.
bcdboot - Bcd boot file creation and repair tool.
then lists all it's commands!
It would be fantastic if there was a Windows tool that could fix and create a new BCD but have looked high and low with no joy only Diskpart seems to be available for this purpose.
I just built this system a little while ago and want it to work with UEFI instead of MBR as there's no point in building a new system only to install an old file system to run it that will only end up going the way of the DODO sooner or later as mbr has serious limitations concerning HD sizes ect'.
As far as I can make out this dxgkrnl.sys is the windows built in DirectX kernel so I suppose I'm not currently running DirectX which is a serious problem for me as this system was built purely for gaming. I have reinstall windows countless times and reinstall over the top as directed but always end up at the same place. been searching nearly a year to solve this but can only find issues that are not connected to mine in anyway. I also DO NOT get BSOD as a result of my issue I have never experience that at any time which is quite surprising considering this is Microsoft where talking about and bsod was the only thing that Gates got working without fail in his OS's lol.
I don't know if I am missing something in the bios but surely this should work out of the box! apart from selecting UEFI of course.
I believe the reason that the dxgkrnl.sys driver that isn't loading is connected to only being able to boot in Selective start up which in turn is causing a sluggish boot time so it looks like it's all connected. I just need to find out why I can't boot in Normal start up and load all drivers!.
I would really appreciate any help here as this is driving me absolutely crazy with frustration to the point I'm now looking at alternative OS's.
thanks for checking this thread out.

Update:
found that my secure boot was set to custom? not sure why that was! So I set it to standard and now when I select Normal it boots but reverts back to Selective once windows is loaded! so that seemed to fix having to use the image to install windows again due to no boot info found but still have dxgkrnl.sys issue I wouldn't care about Normal start up if it wasn't effecting dxgkrnl = slow boot.
also ran diag and it says all ok! I have diag log but too long to post here. it seems to be working! I think but still need to sort it not loading as its causing slow boot up.

Last edited:
Solution
its no big deal to unplug internet to install 20H2 or later, compared to updating to them after and wasting more time with unnecessary updates. It is your choice really.

21H1 should be out this month. Maybe next week but I know better than to assume Microsoft will actually get it out in a reasonable time frame. Probably before June as they need to give themselves 6 more months to release 21H2 in same year.

Its an odd bug and one I don't have enough experience fixing. Only seen it once before.

Colif

Win 11 Master

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
have you tried updating gpu drivers?

i have seen this before, it can cause slow boots. I am fairly sure direct X does load eventually, it just has issues starting.

one "fix" is to turn off windows error reporting but that doesn't feel right to me, it just hides the problem - https://www.tenforums.com/general-s...s-wdfilter-sys-slow-startup-windows-10-a.html
Hi
I have updated all mother board drivers plus NVidia and windows and I never use error reporting I always have that disabled I even tried enabling as much windows services as I can but that didn't help either. it's seriously annoying to spend out loads on latest fast hardware only to be throttled by this bloated crappy OS.
I now wonder if this lag is because I'm using a Local Account you never know with Microsoft if memory serves me well I remember Microsoft getting backlash in early days of win10 for only being able to use OS with only logon option then they did a turnaround and added Local account but may have left a few spanners in the works just for good measure! I will test that theory by trying to install and logon then I'll know for sure if it's MS being their annoying self.
May be there is something that needs turning on or off but have run out of ideas so every suggestion is gratefully appreciated.
thanks for your input :)

I'll update this should Account Logon make any difference. and apparently being in Selective start-up with all ticked is not suppose to hinder the OS in any way as long as all are ticked but there are so many opinions about this it's hard to make head or tail of it.
and Microsoft have never helped with any issue apart from simple ones and this one is no different.
thanks again.
Update: logging in didn't work either.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I now wonder if this lag is because I'm using a Local Account you never know with Microsoft if memory serves me well I remember Microsoft getting backlash in early days of win10 for only being able to use OS with only logon option then they did a turnaround and added Local account but may have left a few spanners in the works just for good measure! I will test that theory by trying to install and logon then I'll know for sure if it's MS being their annoying self.
Not sure about that, but I know if you want to install win 10 now and use a local user instead of MSA, you need to disconnect all Internet access before you start or it won't let you. No WIFI or Ethernet and WIn 10 will let you set it up as a local account. I don't think it should have anything to do with DirectX loading at startup

having windows error reporting off isn't going to help when it comes to figuring out what is wrong. Its essentially hiding all the evidence from yourself.

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Not sure about that, but I know if you want to install win 10 now and use a local user instead of MSA, you need to disconnect all Internet access before you start or it won't let you. No WIFI or Ethernet and WIn 10 will let you set it up as a local account. I don't think it should have anything to do with DirectX loading at startup

having windows error reporting off isn't going to help when it comes to figuring out what is wrong. Its essentially hiding all the evidence from yourself.
I just installed WIn10 ver1909 and had no issue with selecting local account with internet on may that feature is in the 20H2 update and updating older version to 20H2 won't effect the local account as it's already in use I already update once then reverted back. probably a wise move to install 1909 or another version then update to 20H2 if that's the case these aren't big updates and take seconds to install.

Not a fan of Windows help or error reporting it's never helped me in any way and I've ran with it on when I just did the last fresh install and it's not picked up any anything!. Diag reports DirectX 12 is ok in all departments so maybe it's just a windows bug that some unfortunate users get however it's a pain in the rear as it's slowing boot times so ignoring it is hard to do so I'll keep looking.

According to what I've read and checking logs Windows is apparently running ok I will just have to put up with selective startup and a slower boot time until I find a fix if there actually is one that is. another area I could check is MSI's forum could be something in the bios I haven't enabled or disabled. there's no other issue exactly like mine all others seem to have other problems with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
its no big deal to unplug internet to install 20H2 or later, compared to updating to them after and wasting more time with unnecessary updates. It is your choice really.

21H1 should be out this month. Maybe next week but I know better than to assume Microsoft will actually get it out in a reasonable time frame. Probably before June as they need to give themselves 6 more months to release 21H2 in same year.

Its an odd bug and one I don't have enough experience fixing. Only seen it once before.

Solution