[SOLVED] Could i go any higher speed overclocking my ram ?

Hydroshot

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
I was messing around in my BIOS the other day and i decided to try out overclocking my Gskill ripjaws V 2400mhz ram. i messed around for a few mins and got it up to 2933 Mhz in the overclocking utility and ive been running with this same clock speed for about a week and everything is actually pretty stable it seems. i was wondering if there is any way that i could possibly overclock my ram a little more ? i know 2933 on this ram is probably pushing it and i feel like i got lucky that its stable but im just curious lol. Here are my main specs
MSI B350 Gaming Pro mobo
Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked to 3.9Ghz
8GB DDR4 ram
RX 480 8GB

Thanks !

Solution
May need to boost SoC Voltage for DDR4-3200, but every combo is different so the best way to find out is to trial and error test.

A higher DRAM Frequency with higher timings can still perform better than lower frequency with lower timings.. however with that combo DDR4-2933 is generally the sweet spot.
For overclocking, if you focus your attention on CAS latency, which is the time it takes between the CPU to ask for data and memory to provide it. A lower response time is obviously better.

Overclocking 2400MHz memory to 2933MHz increases the CAS latency which sort of defeats the purpose of buying a low latency kit, which is why one normally does not buy 2400MHz memory to run it at a higher clock speed.

TRENDING THREADS