Question Could I have damaged the psu?

Dec 10, 2021
Hello. When switching on the power button on the new psu for the first time there was a blue flash inside the psu. I started up the computer, then I shut it off again. After it was shut off, in a hurry to take a further look at the psu I took out the psu cable and reconnected it again while the psu was still on the ON button instead of the OFF button, and there was much static noise when reconnecting the cable. Then I noticed that a part inside the psu was glowing red for a while, and when I booted up the pc I noticed that I had damaged the motherboard a bit, there is a soft noise coming from one or more of the capacitors, and the hdd was killed or at least not working anymore with this motherboard. The psu itself isn't making any strange noises. Also, when I switch on the psu now, the blue flash is gone, but instead, the rgb led of the motherboard flashes blue in the same way as the psu did before.

What could have happened here? Did I also damage the psu in any way? I haven't found anything on the internet about that thing inside the psu that was glowing red.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would take this moment to say...Why are you still using it?!

You risk further damage. Step one, replace the PSU, then continue troubleshooting. If the motherboard has visual signs of damage, I would also replace that.

If something inside the PSU shorted out, you might be delivering very dirty power to the motherboard, and your problems are stemming from overheating VRMs that have a higher duty cycle trying to make low voltages out something messy. Honestly can't think of a failure mode that would still allow a PSU to work after something got red hot inside.

Pextaxmx

Prominent
Jun 15, 2020
how do you spot the source of "soft noise" is a capacitor on the motherboard?? Noise source identification is something can't be done with human ears. Even with a good microphone array from LMS or B&K, for the frequency range of "soft noise", you won't have spatial resolution as fine as the spacing of motherboard components.

Dec 10, 2021
I would take this moment to say...Why are you still using it?!

You risk further damage. Step one, replace the PSU, then continue troubleshooting. If the motherboard has visual signs of damage, I would also replace that.

If something inside the PSU shorted out, you might be delivering very dirty power to the motherboard, and your problems are stemming from overheating VRMs that have a higher duty cycle trying to make low voltages out something messy. Honestly can't think of a failure mode that would still allow a PSU to work after something got red hot inside.
Thanks, I will do that!

Brand and model of the old PSU?
I don't understand what you mean by this exactly. This is the only PSU I have used with this motherboard.

how do you spot the source of "soft noise" is a capacitor on the motherboard?? Noise source identification is something can't be done with human ears. Even with a good microphone array from LMS or B&K, for the frequency range of "soft noise", you won't have spatial resolution as fine as the spacing of motherboard components.
I guess I was just guessing, I have read some things on the internet. Thanks for the clarification!

Hello. When switching on the power button on the new psu for the first time there was a blue flash inside the psu.
That's an inrush of current going from your mains to the NTC thermistor because the bulk cap needs to charge.

I took out the psu cable and reconnected it again while the psu was still on the ON button instead of the OFF button, and there was much static noise when reconnecting the cable.
Well.. Yeah. Now that same inrush current is arcing from the power cord terminals to the terminals of the PSU.

Then I noticed that a part inside the psu was glowing red for a while
There is nothing in the PSU that would glow red. Could be the NTC thermistor, I suppose. Those actually work by "overheating" until the resistance drops enough to allow the current to pass through.

I noticed that I had damaged the motherboard a bit, there is a soft noise coming from one or more of the capacitors, and the hdd was killed or at least not working anymore with this motherboard.
What is the damage to the motherboard?

Were you only using the DC output cables that came with the RM650?

Dec 10, 2021
What is the damage to the motherboard?

Were you only using the DC output cables that came with the RM650?
I suppose after getting information from this thread I'm not so sure anymore that there is any (important) damage to the motherboard.

Yes I was only using the cables that came with the RM650, what does this mean?

Yes I was only using the cables that came with the RM650, what does this mean?
Well, it wouldn't make sense for a HDD to just up and die from plugging in a PSU. Even if it sparks, glows and shoots out flames. You should research how a PSU actually works. There's an AC side and a DC side and they are completely isolated from one another.

Usually when we see things die on the DC side of the PSU, it's because the user used the wrong cables (like from a different brand PSU) with different pinout which ends up delivering the wrong voltages to the drive.

Dec 10, 2021
Well, it wouldn't make sense for a HDD to just up and die from plugging in a PSU. Even if it sparks, glows and shoots out flames. You should research how a PSU actually works. There's an AC side and a DC side and they are completely isolated from one another.

Usually when we see things die on the DC side of the PSU, it's because the user used the wrong cables (like from a different brand PSU) with different pinout which ends up delivering the wrong voltages to the drive.
I will certainly do some research into PSU's, and PC components overall, as it can be a good brain exercise as well as a money saver.

Do you have an explanation as to why the blue flash is gone now when I turn on the PSU, and now there (still) is a blue flash coming from the motherboard LED's?

Pextaxmx

Prominent
Jun 15, 2020
That's an inrush of current going from your mains to the NTC thermistor because the bulk cap needs to charge.

Well.. Yeah. Now that same inrush current is arcing from the power cord terminals to the terminals of the PSU.
are you suggesting that some arcing occurring in a PSU is normal? If that happens in my PSU I would be freaked out and start an RMA process....

Dec 10, 2021
Okay so I installed the new corsair rm650 and the pc seems to work a little bit better, but most of the problems persist. The pc takes a long time to fully shut down, it stays for almost a minute at a black screen before it fully shuts down. I also have microstuttering while gaming, no fps drops, CPU and GPU stay cool. The fans are running a little bit, but not much. The noise that is coming from somewhere near the CPU is still there. Could these things mean that the motherboard is damaged?

Dec 10, 2021
Now I had a problem that the pc froze and shut down by itself, and then when I started up the pc again, the screen stayed black and there were 2 red lights blinking non stop after each other, the CPU and dram. Then I shut down the pc and powered it on again, and this time it booted up normally. Any ideas what could be the problem?

ASK THE COMMUNITY