hellion_52883

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I trying a cpu that I wasn't sure if it worked. I putthe cpu in turned on the computer, it came on ran through the bios and then shut off. I realized that I forgot to plug in the cpu fan. Plugged in the fan and tried again, it sounds like the computer starts but nothing comes on the screen. I checked the monitor and that is not the problem. Could I have somehow killed my cpu by turning on the computer without the cpu fan plugged in? Thanks for your help!

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
How long was it powered on? What processor were you using under what heatsink? It's possible, but if it shut off instead of freezing it sounds like the overheat protection kicked in. First, unplug the PSU, then try again. ]

Edit: Well, plug it back in before trying again.

hellion_52883

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
It was only on for about 30 seconds, just long enough for the bios to load. I also tried putting my processor in that I original had in there. That one os doing the same thing, and that one was working when I took it out to try the other one.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
If you're not sure, I imagine it is the stock heatsink. The CPU isn't physically damaged, is it? I wouldn't think it would have fried in 30s under a heatsink. Let me think.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
You probably knocked out a cable when putting in the fan cable, if the heatsink is on properly then the CPU's probably fine, I mean... look at all the passive heatsinks that are out there.

Make sure you've got all relevant power cables in properly - 24 pin, 4/8 pin, graphics power cable (if required), and drives.

TRENDING THREADS