Question Could I have killed my CPU or my motherboard?

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
So I was, updating my msi x370 sli plus to the ryzen 3000 series bios (1600 installed in my pc), so it seemed succesful. But when I booted up I noticed it booted my HDD. And before I updated my bios I had windows installed on my SSD with all my games and stuff. So for some reason windows got moved from my ssd to my hdd. And I got confused there.

But not only that, my "smart" self, decided to insert the usb again after already updating the bios, and going into m-flash. But as soon as I did that, my screen was stuck black and my mouse and keyboard were not working, but my computer was running.

Then I noticed that my CPU Debug light came on and was stuck like that. I tried to restart my computer with the front panel restart, but the computer didn't restart, the cpu debug light flashed twice then stayed on. So I decided to shut down the computer, and turn it back on, and I could not boot up, my keyboard and mouse rgb's were off, my monitor was on sleep, but my computer was running with the cpu debug light stuck on.

So I obviously destroyed my PC, doing something in this process. But could my motherboard also be badly damaged or just my cpu? and Would it be a good idea just to buy the ryzen 5 3600 I plan to buy, and install it into my socket to see if things have been fixed? and also my bios changed from msi click bios 5 (Before bios update) to just msi click bios (after bios update).

Last edited by a moderator:

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
The computer cannot move Windows from your SSD to your HDD on its own unless you do that manually which would take a long time as it is a lot of GB to transfer.

Try a BIOS reset by removing the battery for 1 minute, shorting the CLR CMOS header with a small screwdriver and then re-inserting the battery.

This will reset it if it has got stuck in a failed boot due to settings changing and hopefully get you going again.

Also make sure you are booting without the USB plugged in as some motherboards will search for an operating system on that.

Have you got a motherboard small speaker?
This is very useful to get beep codes which you can then find out the meaning of by looking up MSI motherboard beep codes.

Andy

Last edited:

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
The computer cannot move Windows from your SSD to your HDD on its own unless you do that manually which would take a long time as it is a lot of GB to transfer.

Try a BIOS reset by removing the battery for 1 minute, shorting the CLR CMOS header with a small screwdriver and then re-inserting the battery.

This will reset it if it has got stuck in a failed boot due to settings changing and hopefully get you going again.

Also make sure you are booting without the USB plugged in as some motherboards will search for an operating system on that.

Have you got a motherboard small speaker?
This is very useful to get beep codes which you can then find out the meaning of by looking up MSI motherboard beep codes.

Andy
well I wil try your steps when my ryzen 3600 comes in, because I got really pissed off and threw my 1600 away.

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
You might need your old Ryzen 1600 to update your BIOS because if this hasn't been updated successfully then your 3600 will not work.
crap............ so as of right now, my best option is buying a whole new motherboard then. Because Like I said I could not control my self and threw my 1600 away. like it's gone. so what would be the cheapest x470 or b450 to buy that would not require a bios flash to accept a 3600. Sometimes I wish I could time travel :(

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
But I'm still confused to why my windows 10 os moved from my ssd to my hdd without notice. (I still had programs installed on my hdd, but bought a new ssd and installed windows to my ssd and cancelled out my hdd's windows 10 os.

cz016m_74

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Regarding "why my windows 10 os moved from my ssd to my hdd without notice ", if you had Windows installed on the HDD previously, it is still capable of booting. If the boot sequence was changed in BIOS (which is likely to happen when you flash the BIOS), the HDD could boot before the SSD. That would explain why the HDD booted first. Once you install your new motherboard, you will need to set the boot sequence so that the SSD boots first. Then Windows should boot from the SSD.