Could I have your opionions / recommendations on my Mini ITX build please?

buzza9

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Hi All,

I am about to purchase the following but would like some opinions on the build first.

It will be mainly be used for gaming / VR (Vive).

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jDnTsJ

I already have the M4 SSD and will use it for games once the 850 starts getting full.

Is there anything you would do different?

Thanks.

Wolfshadw

Titan
First, PC Part Picker shows you where there are some incompatible parts. The case only has 1 2.5" drive bay (presumably for your M4 SSD) and 1 3.5" drive bay which can be modded for two 2.5" drives. You just need to make sure the WD 1TB drive you get is actually a 2.5" drive.

You will also need to look into the front cooling solution the case offers and whether or not it will accept the radiator of your cooler. It says there is a radiator option, but how does that change anything else inside the case? Does that mean you have to move drive bays? What are the conditions to installing that option? Additionally, the version of the case you have shows the front as a hard plastic cover with little to no ventilation. The fan for the radiator (per the manual) is supposed to draw in cool air from outside the case. The front panel of the case blocks it.

Specs for the case state it will accept a standard (10.5"/26cm) length expansion card. As long as the 1080Ti you're looking at comes in under that length, you should be good to go.

I'm not a big fan of mini-ITX builds as gaming systems. To me, there's just no call for such small systems. The build, itself, is great. I don't foresee any issues. I'm just not happy with the case and would recommend a Mid-ATX case instead (but that's just me).

-Wolf sends

buzza9

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012

Thanks Wolfshadow.

I was aware of the limited 2.5" drives. I think 3 will fit in, if not I can always remove one or see if I can squeeze it in somewhere.

The front cooling doesn't look great, they do a version with a mesh front (here). Aesthetically I don't like it as much but I might have to do the switch, I'll look into it some more. The cpu cooler I am hoping will fit based off the review on the overclockers site (here), it mentions a Corsair H45 fits and I can't see why a H60 wouldn't fit.

The 1080 Ti is a "Mini" version of the card, same specs but its only 211mm long so will fit in easily (I hope).

I would like this build to be a bit more discreet than my previous ones, and it may end up in the living room at some point so I want the smaller form factor.

Do you think it would be better using the M4 or the 850 SSD as a boot drive? I'm assuming the 850 based on the benchmarks

Wolfshadw

Titan
Three 2.5" drives will fit. My main concern was before I realized the 1TB WD drive as also 2.5" as opposed to the typical 3.5". You just need to make sure it actually is 2.5" as the images I've seen show what appears to be a 3.5" drive.

I saw the mesh front cover version as well, and I'm not overly fond of it either. Even if the cooler does fit, where is that cool air supposed to come from? I mean, to me, it seems like you're spending £71 on a cooler and not giving it any way of doing what it's supposed to be doing.

There are other "discreet" options that are available to you. While many may disagree with me, I have always been a fan of HTPC cases, especially if it's going to be openly visible in the living room. My old HTPC (strictly for liveTV/DVD/Blu-Ray) set up perfectly in my home theater cabinet. It housed all my components with ease and while about the same physical size of your standard ATX case, was aligned horizontally, like an old desktop, and fit in with the rest of my home theater set up without being obtrusive.

Unfortunately, I went cheap with an NMediaPC HTPC case and the front flap didn't last long, but it still looked nice in my living room. This was my old HTPC case and my Home Theater Audio System above:

4181BCgYahL.jpg

11-204-004-14.jpg

Newer versions (from other companies) could probably house all of your components without any limiting issues.

Like I said. I'm not a fan of mini-ITX builds.

-Wolf sends