[SOLVED] Could I reuse a Windows 10 installed hard drive?

Jan 29, 2020
I'm building a new pc but want to save as much money as possible? Could I reuse the hard drive in my old one? It runs Windows 10 Home and has 1tb of storage. Would I need to reinstall windows or would it just set everything up for me when i plug it into my new pc?

Solution
If you're building a new PC with a new motherboard, you can have issues. The best solution is to back up your files and install Windows again. If you're nervous about activation, you can link the license with your Microsoft account.
As a side note, it's a great idea to get an SSD for the boot drive. It makes the whole system feel snappier and it's cheap (~$30-35 for 240gb).

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
If you're building a new PC with a new motherboard, you can have issues. The best solution is to back up your files and install Windows again. If you're nervous about activation, you can link the license with your Microsoft account.
As a side note, it's a great idea to get an SSD for the boot drive. It makes the whole system feel snappier and it's cheap (~$30-35 for 240gb).

Solution