[SOLVED] Could I run XMP settings with two different kits of ram

nesteafury

Honorable
Nov 28, 2015
I recently upgraded my mobo and cpu to a asrock b560 pro4 and a intel i5 10400f. I just did a straight swap, no fresh windows install or anything.
I have developed some stability issues after the swap. My computer will just freeze up and either restart, or need to be hard reset. No blue screens.

I suspect the issue may be the ram I am using. The sticks of am I am using are identical, but come from two separate kits and are dated 9 months apart.
Here is the ram in question : https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/185/1535968498/F4-3000C16S-8GISB-Specification
I have two 8gb sticks.

When I first set up the system I enabled XMP to run the memory at full speed, I have never done this before. The last system the ram was in had a b150 chipset. I was running them at 2133hz and a CL of 14.
Finally I was able to unleash the full 3000mhz @ CL16. Everything seemed to run fine until it crashed. Also, A game I often play seemed unusually laggy even thought I had good ping.

I ran two memtests. The computer restarted 10 mins into running the first test (with XMP enabled). Didn't know what happened and the logs showed that no errors occurred, so I ran the test again. This time the test ran for two hours with no errors, at which point I stopped the test.

Gave those settings another go, but it crashed once more. Then I manually clocked the ram 2933. I crashed midgame. Then I manually clocked it to 2800mhz, inputted only the primary timings and left everything else on auto.
I managed to play my game for about two hours with these settings. I have not crashed, but it is still too early to call it a success. I am going to run another memtest overnight and will report back with the results.

Do you guys agree that it could be the memory that is causing these crashes?
These are essentially two of the same sticks of memory, should I be experiencing these issues trying to run XMP? Granted, my ram is not on the QVL for this board.
Is there another part of my system I should look into?

Solution
I recently upgraded my mobo and cpu to a asrock b560 pro4 and a intel i5 10400f. I just did a straight swap, no fresh windows install or anything.
I have developed some stability issues after the swap. My computer will just freeze up and either restart, or need to be hard reset. No blue screens.

I suspect the issue may be the ram I am using. The sticks of am I am using are identical, but come from two separate kits and are dated 9 months apart.
Here is the ram in question : https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/185/1535968498/F4-3000C16S-8GISB-Specification
I have two 8gb sticks.

When I first set up the system I enabled XMP to run the memory at full speed, I have never done this before. The last system the ram was in...

Endre

Reputable

I have two 8gb sticks.

When I first set up the system I enabled XMP to run the memory at full speed, I have never done this before. The last system the ram was in had a b150 chipset. I was running them at 2133hz and a CL of 14.
Finally I was able to unleash the full 3000mhz @ CL16. Everything seemed to run fine until it crashed. Also, A game I often play seemed unusually laggy even thought I had good ping.

I ran two memtests. The computer restarted 10 mins into running the first test (with XMP enabled). Didn't know what happened and the logs showed that no errors occurred, so I ran the test again. This time the test ran for two hours with no errors, at which point I stopped the test.

Gave those settings another go, but it crashed once more. Then I manually clocked the ram 2933. I crashed midgame. Then I manually clocked it to 2800mhz, inputted only the primary timings and left everything else on auto.
I managed to play my game for about two hours with these settings. I have not crashed, but it is still too early to call it a success. I am going to run another memtest overnight and will report back with the results.

Do you guys agree that it could be the memory that is causing these crashes?
These are essentially two of the same sticks of memory, should I be experiencing these issues trying to run XMP? Granted, my ram is not on the QVL for this board.
Is there another part of my system I should look into?

1. Everytime you change the motherboard, you must re-install the operating system!

2. If your memory modules are identical, they should work together, but that’s not always the case.
Please load BIOS optimal defaults.
Boot with those settings, and if everything’s fine, then load the XMP Profile #1.

Solution

nesteafury

Honorable
Nov 28, 2015
1. Everytime you change the motherboard, you must re-install the operating system!

2. If your memory modules are identical, they should work together, but that’s not always the case.
Please load BIOS optimal defaults.
Boot with those settings, and if everything’s fine, then load the XMP Profile #1.
I know I should reinstall windows, I'm just putting it off for a while as I wait for a NVME drive to arrive. Windows does seem to work fine though, even feels quicker than before.

I have not yet ran with default settings. Im still currently running the 2800mhz settings I configured earlier. I want to see if it will crash. I left a memtest running last night, it passed in just under 3 hours with no errors.

Endre

Reputable
I know I should reinstall windows, I'm just putting it off for a while as I wait for a NVME drive to arrive. Windows does seem to work fine though, even feels quicker than before.

I have not yet ran with default settings. Im still currently running the 2800mhz settings I configured earlier. I want to see if it will crash. I left a memtest running last night, it passed in just under 3 hours with no errors.

It’s a good idea to take those 2 basic steps, that I mentioned earlier, before doing any troubleshooting.

TRENDING THREADS