[SOLVED] Could I sell my Asus ROG Strix RX580 for $600 on eBay?

HzEurythmic

Prominent
May 14, 2020
My son's current system specs are:

I5 9600kf (Water (AIO) Cooled)
Asus ROG Strix rx580 8Gb OC
Seasonic Focus Gold gm-550 80+ Gold
Gigabyte Z390 UD

I heard that the graphics card could sell for a lot (like about $600) and I've seen some sell for that much on eBay. I'm trying to upgrade his CPU from the i5 to an i9 9900K with $ from selling the CPU and $ from selling the GPU and "upgrading" the GPU with money left over. Could I sell the graphics card for that much?

Solution
One example where someone might have overpayed is not the same as typical pricing. Doing a quick look through completed listings, a more typical selling price for the Strix RX 580 8GB is currently around $400 in recent listings. That's also before we deduct things like transaction, listing and shipping fees, which could bring the amount actually paid out closer to $300.

And don't expect to get anything with significantly better performance for $300 right now, as the current graphics card shortage has prices high across the board. Even something like a used 1650 SUPER 4GB or 1060 6GB is typically selling for around $300 on ebay, close to double what they should be worth, and are generally out of stock in stores. While the selling...

HzEurythmic

Prominent
May 14, 2020
And what will you use when you sell your RX 580?
Do you have a replacement card?
9600KF doesnt have integrated graphics.
You will have a hard time finding a better card than a RX 580 after that.
Well he's okay with buying another rx580 or a gtx 1060 or something after that. He says he can go a little bit without using his pc while we're in the "upgrading" process. CPU usage is an issue since he's a Twitch streamer. We found a 9900K for $299 at our local microcenter so if we do sell the card for $600, we have a slight $300 to buy another entry-level card off of eBay or something. The graphics card performs well he says.

Reactions: Dj0gany

USAFRet

Titan
My son's current system specs are:

I5 9600kf (Water (AIO) Cooled)
Asus ROG Strix rx580 8Gb OC
Seasonic Focus Gold gm-550 80+ Gold
Gigabyte Z390 UD

I heard that the graphics card could sell for a lot (like about $600) and I've seen some sell for that much on eBay. I'm trying to upgrade his CPU from the i5 to an i9 9900K with $ from selling the CPU and $ from selling the GPU and "upgrading" the GPU with money left over. Could I sell the graphics card for that much?
Go to ebay, search that particular model, and filter for Sold+Completed.

I'm seeing that exact same one for $250-$400.
Not $600

USAFRet

Titan
This is one of the $600 sold cards that I found.
XeBnXD7.png

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You missed some key words: "or best offer." That doesn't mean it sold for $600.

It would be absolutely shocking if you got $600 for this.

You may very well be able to sell it for $400, which you should be damn happy about given that you likely bought it new for half the price (or less).

HzEurythmic

Prominent
May 14, 2020
You missed some key words: "or best offer." That doesn't mean it sold for $600.

It would be absolutely shocking if you got $600 for this.

You may very well be able to sell it for $400, which you should be damn happy about given that you likely bought it new for half the price (or less).
Yes, I bought it from Newegg for $180 early May, 2020. Thanks guys

One example where someone might have overpayed is not the same as typical pricing. Doing a quick look through completed listings, a more typical selling price for the Strix RX 580 8GB is currently around $400 in recent listings. That's also before we deduct things like transaction, listing and shipping fees, which could bring the amount actually paid out closer to $300.

And don't expect to get anything with significantly better performance for $300 right now, as the current graphics card shortage has prices high across the board. Even something like a used 1650 SUPER 4GB or 1060 6GB is typically selling for around $300 on ebay, close to double what they should be worth, and are generally out of stock in stores. While the selling prices for used cards are high right now, the buying prices are also high, and that's likely to be the case for months.

And if they are a streamer, obviously they will need a dedicated graphics card. A 9900K could make performance more stable in some games while streaming, but most demanding games are still likely to be more graphics limited with this level of card, so you likely wouldn't want to downgrade it much. I certainly wouldn't expect to get a 9900K along with a comparable graphics card for the selling price of that RX 580. At best, you will likely just be able to get one or the other, and getting both would likely cost at least a couple hundred dollars more.

Solution