Question Could I use 4 ram sticks in duo channel?

Valencious

Prominent
Jun 11, 2022
Hello,

I'm currently buying parts for my first pc, and I've wondering about this theme for months now. Here's the question: Could I use 4 ram sticks on a B550-F Gaming MB, and if, how so?
I know that the B550-F Gaming does not support quad channel, but it should, theoratically, support 4 sticks duo channel, right? I planned on using 2 of them in slot 1 and 3 and the others in 2 and 4. I wouldnt buy a quad kit, but 2 times a 2x16gb kit. So would this work + could I use full ram capatacy?
The ram I selected: 2x16gb (or 2x32gb) Mushkin Redline
The MB I bought: ASUS ROG B550-F Gaming (no wifi)
The GPU I selected: RTX 3090TI
The PSU I bought: Corsair RM850X (2021)

I once asked a similar question to this, but didnt really understand the answer.

Ty for help :D

Hello,

I'm currently buying parts for my first pc, and I've wondering about this theme for months now. Here's the question: Could I use 4 ram sticks on a B550-F Gaming MB, and if, how so?
I know that the B550-F Gaming does not support quad channel, but it should, theoratically, support 4 sticks duo channel, right? I planned on using 2 of them in slot 1 and 3 and the others in 2 and 4. I wouldnt buy a quad kit, but 2 times a 2x16gb kit. So would this work + could I use full ram capatacy?

I once asked a similar question to this, but didnt really understand the answer.

..... Your question is heart breaking I'm sorry, but you watch any beginners guide to building a PC most cover this. Yes if the board is dual channel then 4sticks run in dual channel, the same goes for 2 sticks as long as you have them placed right.

Reactions: nehemuel
I wouldnt buy a quad kit, but 2 times a 2x16gb kit. So would this work
this would always risk them not being completely compatible.

even if they may boot and "work" together you could still face instability and/or other inaccuracies between processed data,
slower RAM speed overall,
or timings being off balance.

RAM should always come from the same manufacturer and packaged in the same kit for absolute definitive compatability.

Hello,

If I remember correctly linus covers it in here

View: https://youtu.be/-D8fhsXqq4o

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
this would always risk them not being completely compatible.

even if they may boot and "work" together you could still face instability and/or other inaccuracies between processed data,
slower RAM speed overall,
or timings being off balance.

RAM should always come from the same manufacturer and packaged in the same kit for absolute definitive compatability.

Mix and match of DIMMs or RAM sticks is possible. But do not expect great results or good system performance.

Reactions: white.a.drew