[SOLVED] Could I use a second power supply without adding something?

randomuser22

Commendable
Jun 15, 2020
Hi! So I am gonna upgrade my PC and I have come to the conclusion that I am short by 5 watts (500 Watt PSU and the total is 505, now, since I bought a prebuilt I have an extra PSU. I tested these findings from here. I don't know if these findings are accurate buttt idk. oh and the hardware I am switching is an i3 550 to Athlon II X4 645 with the Motherboard (ASRock M3A770DE)

If I don't use an extra PSU or upgrade my current one, will I be fine using 500 watt and if so, at max power times (parts in games where it uses high power) will it suddenly shut off?

TL;DR - Is it possible if I could use 2 PSUs' a 500 and a 300 watt for basically my CPU and GPU.

Solution
You are probably dangerously overloaded now with a r9-290, it is a hot card.
Here is a useful chart for the wattage needs of various graphics cards.
One problem is that not all 500w power supplies can deliver 500w with most of it @12v, and in a heated case. A cheap psu that gets overloaded can damage all of your parts if it should fail under load.

FSP used to make a aux psu booster, but no more:
https://www.newegg.com/fsp-group-booster-x5-450w/p/N82E16817104054

Best to buy a quality replacement power supply that is sufficient.
A quality 650w psu should be considered as a long term investment.
It will be good for many upgrades.

The increase in power draw from the processor change is not great.
But, I question your motive in...
I can almost certainly say (without knowing what GPU you're using) that with an x4 645, your system power draw will be less than 500W

Again, we'd need to know the rest of your system specs. But I'd wager your actual system power draw is probably around 200W or less.

randomuser22

Commendable
Jun 15, 2020
I can almost certainly say (without knowing what GPU you're using) that with an x4 645, your system power draw will be less than 500W

Again, we'd need to know the rest of your system specs. But I'd wager your actual system power draw is probably around 200W or less.
Oh Yeah I forgot, It's an R9 290 Vapor X (It was on sale at the time)

This is TOTAL SYSTEM power draw with a i7-4960X (130W TDP) @ 4.2GHz.

59503.png

Your system is probably closer to 300W max. The R9-290 can draw up to ~220W or so.

You are probably dangerously overloaded now with a r9-290, it is a hot card.
Here is a useful chart for the wattage needs of various graphics cards.
One problem is that not all 500w power supplies can deliver 500w with most of it @12v, and in a heated case. A cheap psu that gets overloaded can damage all of your parts if it should fail under load.

FSP used to make a aux psu booster, but no more:
https://www.newegg.com/fsp-group-booster-x5-450w/p/N82E16817104054

Best to buy a quality replacement power supply that is sufficient.
A quality 650w psu should be considered as a long term investment.
It will be good for many upgrades.

The increase in power draw from the processor change is not great.
But, I question your motive in changing out to such a outdated and slow motherboard/ cpu combination.
Your increase in processor capability will be limited.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS