[SOLVED] Could I use this PSU in a new build

DominicJ

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017
Dear Peeps,

I am planning on building an editing workstation and I have an old PSU:

OCZ 850W ZX Series PSU 80+ Gold Rated

It hasn't had much use and was wondering if it is worth me saving a few bucks by keeping it OR should I just forget it.

Look forward to your opinions.

Thanks

Dominic

Solution
You have two good comments on both sides of the issue.
Either could be right.

I think I would go with new.
Modern power supplies do a better job of handling the extra low power states found on modern motherboards.
Dear Peeps,

I am planning on building an editing workstation and I have an old PSU:

OCZ 850W ZX Series PSU 80+ Gold Rated

It hasn't had much use and was wondering if it is worth me saving a few bucks by keeping it OR should I just forget it.
Look forward to your opinions.
Thanks

Dominic
I tend to take a more conservative approach with power supplies. A 10 year old model that came with cheap Chinese CapXon capacitors does not fill me with confidence. Weigh the cost of your new parts and consider if it's worth risking them versus spending another $100 for a brand new power supply with full warranty and updated design.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

DominicJ

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017
Hey there,

Absolutely. That's a pretty good PSU by all accounts. Try it, should work. If it doesn't, then get a new one.

OCZ ZX 850 Series 850 Watt Power Supply Review | TweakTown
Thanks for your comments guys. I used the PSU intensively only in the summer times for about 4 years doing just editing and for the last 5 yrs has been sitting idle. It never gave me any problems so defo considering as you say try it out and get a new one if needed; but in saying that am not opposed to the conservative view by
Archaic59 - don't want to put other componants at risk
Btw, I also have old computer case: BNIB ANTEC 1200 (TWELVE HUNDRED) BLACK STEEL ATX FULL TOWER - I don't see why I can't still keep that. I have heard that these old cases have poor air flow - What's your opinion on that? - Cheers

DominicJ

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017
Antec 1200 is a fine case. It comes with three 120mm front intakes which should be more than enough for anything you might want inside.
What are you planning on?

I was advised to get everything new but can't see how that case would still not be relvant. - For the CPU am thinking AMD Rysen 7 3700X and for the GPU a Radeon RX 580. Will be editing on 4K and willl be using a paid version of Davinci Resolve. I have a load of HDD which will certainly put into use but obviously need some SSD for OS and cache files etc. I'm not sure what motherborad to get. Any suggestions?

Jun 7, 2021
Thanks for your comments guys. I used the PSU intensively only in the summer times for about 4 years doing just editing and for the last 5 yrs has been sitting idle. It never gave me any problems so defo considering as you say try it out and get a new one if needed; but in saying that am not opposed to the conservative view by
Archaic59 - don't want to put other componants at risk
Btw, I also have old computer case: BNIB ANTEC 1200 (TWELVE HUNDRED) BLACK STEEL ATX FULL TOWER - I don't see why I can't still keep that. I have heard that these old cases have poor air flow - What's your opinion on that? - Cheers
If you decide not to use that antec 1200 case id pay good money for that.. accidently maybe broke the ol ladys top panel. Shes on vacation, I've yet to be yelled at😁