Question Could interference from the internet cables cause the random PC crashes?

gioserpo

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I have a PC I built, I'll list the specs below, it has had a ton of issues, and literally every component was brand new when I bought them, I couldn't pinpoint the exact cause of the issue, so I replaced parts until every single component had been replaced, and it still has these issues, however, I have had issues with the internet here for the past 10 years, I never got anywhere close to the speeds I was paying for, and I know that I'm never going to get 100% of those speeds, but a 30 day average came out to 50 Mbps, the lowest was .5 Mbps and the highest was 65 Mbps.. I'm paying for 200 Mbps right now, but, even 10 years ago, when the max they offered was 15 Mbps, the few times I did check it, it was always between 1-3 Mbps, and as spectrum offered more and more speed, I would get more speed, but never close to what I was paying for. We had techs come out, give us excuses, and we were essentially told to deal with it, but, I am the kind of person who won't just deal with it. We had a new mobile home moved in back in June of 2017, and in December of 2017, Spectrum came out set everything up, brand new. The issues with speed are still around, and, since I have finally ran out of patience with them, I filed a complaint with the FCC, Spectrum now seems like they are all for figuring out my issue. the day after I filed the complaint, I got a call from a spectrum rep, who led me through the basic troubleshooting they always do, before running some tests on his end. He proceeded to tell me that there is a lot of interference somewhere on the line, between my junction box and my modem. Mind you, my modem, junction box, and all of the wires are brand new, and this issue was very prevalent before all that was brand new, and I explained that to the first guy, who told me he would have a tech come and look, and figure it out. Hes going to be here tomorrow, with a supervisor to pinpoint the interference, but my question is this: Could that interference be whats causing my PC to BSOD and crash? It's currently hooked up via ethernet, I forgot to put a wifi card in it, but looking back, I had built a PC a few years ago, and, while I remembered the Wifi card, I just kept it hooked up to ethernet, and it had a few problems itself, and when it finally gave up, I assumed that the CPU had overheated itself to death, because I used the stock AMD fan that came with it. My PS4, which I also only used on etherent, had a bunch of issues that none of my friends had with their PS4s, and they all thought I was lying about the issues.

Anyway, the PCs specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
GTX 1050 Ti
16 GB Ram
Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H motherboard
120 GB ADATA SSD
2 TB Western Digital USB 3.0 external data drive

Modem and Router:
Spectrum issued Sagecom Fast 5260 router
Netgear CM300 modem

Now, I know that the issues I have with things that have only ever been hooked to ethernet could none be related, I know it could all be a big coincidence, but at this point, I'm running out of patience with this PC too, and all the devices I have on wifi work great, with no issues except the slow internet speeds, they always have, so, the most logical explanation at this point is that interference.

Internally, all the connections on the PC are great, it don't over heat, and the odds of all of the components being shipped to me faulty, twice, aren't very high. I'd be willing to bet money that it's not a hardware issues within the PC. I took it to office depot after the CPU came back (last component I replaced) and I was still having issues, and the tech said he thought it might be a software issue, so he formatted my SSD, and reinstalled windows. Funny thing, the whole time it was down there, it never once crashed or BSODed, which could be a coincidence too, because sometimes it'll stay on for days at a time if I let it. It don't stay on like that all the time, though, its rare when it does. When I got it home from office depot, it BSODed 5 minutes after I hooked it up, before I even hooked the data drive back up, so, I'd be willing to guess that it's not a software issue either... Like I said, I'm at a loss...

EDIT: I posted two different times about the issues this PC has had, and pretty much everything I have done to troubleshoot it...

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...all-with-memory-management-stop-code.3254249/
&

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. Regarding your motherboard, are you on the latest BIOS update? Have you tried reinstalling your networking drivers? You should also see if the system behaves that way when breadboarded, I'm suspecting a grounding issue to be one of the culprits.

gioserpo

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Raidmax RX630SS 630 watt PSU, my bad, I had to dig out the box. I am on the latest BIOS version, I have reinstalled the network drivers, many times. I'm not exactly sure how to breadboard it, walk me through it though, and I'll give it a shot, if it'll help me pinpoint the problem. My guess is that the interference in the cable Spectrum is referring to, for the internet isn't the problem with the PC crashes and BSODes in that case? I figured it was a big coincidence.