Discussion Could it be that for the entirety of the lifespan of the 3000 series cards availability will be low and prices very high?

dan1991Ro

Reputable
Oct 1, 2019
Basically my question is:is it actually possible that even 1 year or 1 year and a half from now prices will not be at MSRP?And could it be that most gamers will not be able to get these cards?Is that an actual possibility?

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
I wasn't in the market for PC components in the last cryptocurrency run so I don't know how long that lasted. I certainly don't see anything getting better in the next three or four months though.

USAFRet

Titan
Just one of the reasons you can't get a 3XXX card for anything resembling MSRP:
kNDDPTR.png

InvalidError

Titan
And could it be that most gamers will not be able to get these cards?Is that an actual possibility?
Yes, gamers who are after a one-off purchase at a reasonable price relative to manufacturing cost have no chance of competing against miners who buy GPUs in bulk and are willing to pay significant premiums while they still have a reasonably high chance of turning a profit. Don't expect the situation to improve until the next crypto-crash happens, likely when governments either step in to collect taxes or ban crypto altogether due to the nearly impossible task of tracking crypto for tax collection purposes.

Reactions: Krotow

akseli

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
No. Give it two to three months and we will start to slowly see a change. Have patience, just highly unusual time in hardware, both consoles and gpu makers launched, covid, crypto-boom.