Could my 4550 be faster?

I replaced the stock fan on the Radeon 9800 with an ARCTIC cooler. Not only
is the machine quieter, but for tasks that I have been performing every
day -- compute AND I/O intensive tasks, it is faster. I don't have a
'before' benchmark, so it is just feel, but it is startlingly faster.

I had noticed that my P4-2.8 2400 seemed considerably faster than my P4-2.66
4550 (remember my 'can I swap the cpu question').

I'm wondering if it is all related to heat. The ARCTIC cooler exhausts heat
from the Radeon out the back of the PC, rather than internally to the PC, so
I suspect the whole machine is running a LOT cooler. I know that a P4 will
throttle back from heat.

Could that be it?

Am I nuts? (well, about this -- in day to day life, it's probably already
confirmed).

Tom

> I replaced the stock fan on the Radeon 9800 with an ARCTIC cooler. Not
only
> is the machine quieter, but for tasks that I have been performing every
> day -- compute AND I/O intensive tasks, it is faster. I don't have a
> 'before' benchmark, so it is just feel, but it is startlingly faster.
>
> I had noticed that my P4-2.8 2400 seemed considerably faster than my
P4-2.66
> 4550 (remember my 'can I swap the cpu question').
>
> I'm wondering if it is all related to heat. The ARCTIC cooler exhausts
heat
> from the Radeon out the back of the PC, rather than internally to the PC,
so
> I suspect the whole machine is running a LOT cooler. I know that a P4
will
> throttle back from heat.
>
> Could that be it?
>
> Am I nuts? (well, about this -- in day to day life, it's probably already
> confirmed).
>
> Tom

Tom,

As a general opinion, I don't think there's much more you can do for her
that isn't cost/performance prohibited. Since I feel like I sort of know
you, I'd imagine you've got the OS tweaked out to the gills, streamlined and
minimized. If I recall, you're also loaded up on RAM and you've got a
nearly top of line video card with a CPU that is only 2 or 3 clicks from the
fastest available.

Short of salt flats rocket sled ride, I don't see how it can be much
faster - or for that matter, why it would even *need* to be so!

Stew

I don't think I made my point clearly. I don't want to speed it up -- I'd
buy a new one for that.

What I'm asking is, did the new cooler MAKE it faster.

Tom

> I don't think I made my point clearly. I don't want to speed it up -- I'd
> buy a new one for that.
>
> What I'm asking is, did the new cooler MAKE it faster.
>
> Tom

Is this a trick question? :)

Sorry I misunderstood....

In theory(*) as long as the card is in normal operational temps, there
shouldn't be any difference (if all software tweaks and acceleration tools
are the same).

But that is just anecdotal, not unlike a clean car driving better - a cooler
system runs faster.

I happen to be an avid participant in case ventilation.

joey

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2003

> I happen to be an avid participant in case ventilation.

this is either the definition of a computer geek or somebody with way too
much time on his hands!

"joey" <joeyt@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@nospam.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > I happen to be an avid participant in case ventilation.
>

> this is either the definition of a computer geek or somebody with way too
> much time on his hands!

Touche'.

:)

Might be either or both, but fortunately for the rest of us, he is a wise
contributor to this group.

Rocky