Could my antivirus software cause ping spikes/rubberbanding in online games?

Frinker

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
I've had my new computer for around 3 weeks now. For the 1st week i could play online games just find but these past 2 weeks I have had constant ping spikes and rubberbanding issues making the experience almost unplayable. I'm currently using wireless and am unsure why it has suddenly went from working fine to quite bad. Could my antivirus (Bullguard internet security) be causing this? I checked resource monitor and in Network, svchost.exe (Bullguard_Proxy) was at the top of the list sometimes using anywhere around 1500 b/s and once increasing around 2000 -24000 b/s until settling around a total of 800. Not sure if this is relevant but I just don't know whats causing this issue.

Solution
Here are a few reasons:
1.There are many people using your wifi (could be hacked, or many people in your household use it, this is normal)

2.The video game servers are overcrowded at the time

3.Use an ethernet cable from your pc, to your modem (will be much better connection since wireless can be unreliable at times)

4.Call your ISP and ask them. The problem could be on their end

-If you want to check your router settings, open a browser and type in 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (if nothing shows up, let me know)
-Check your dhcp client table (if you have that setting)
-And in that client table, check if you notice a suspicious amount of devices connected to your wifi. (example you have 2 computers in your house currently connected...

Reyaz123

Admirable
Yes, it can. Windows firewall and your antivirus have a firewall setting

You need to create an exception for your game inside these firewalls, or temporarily disable it when you are playing online games.
Remember to turn it back on after.

Frinker

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015

Ok thanks, I just looked into this and noticed both Bullguard and Windows have their firewalls on running at the same time. Should this be happening or should I disable one of them?

Reyaz123

Admirable

It is better to leave them both on when you are not gaming.
When you are gaming online, turn them off temporarily and see if this fixes your ping spikes.

Bullguard to create exception in application rules (locate this option):http://media.bullguard.com/is9_help/EN/FW/module_firewall_overview.html

Windows Firewall: allow a program to bypass it (specifically your program/game):
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/communicate-through-windows-firewall#1TC=windows-7

Frinker

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015

Made sure the games were exceptions and then turned off firewalls but I'm still getting the same ping spikes and rubberbanding. Could this be due to the fact I'm using wireless or is there anything else that could potentially be the problem?

Reyaz123

Admirable
Here are a few reasons:
1.There are many people using your wifi (could be hacked, or many people in your household use it, this is normal)

2.The video game servers are overcrowded at the time

3.Use an ethernet cable from your pc, to your modem (will be much better connection since wireless can be unreliable at times)

4.Call your ISP and ask them. The problem could be on their end

-If you want to check your router settings, open a browser and type in 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (if nothing shows up, let me know)
-Check your dhcp client table (if you have that setting)
-And in that client table, check if you notice a suspicious amount of devices connected to your wifi. (example you have 2 computers in your house currently connected to the wifi but the dhcp client table shows 3 devices)
-Suspect anyone else using your wifi? change your wifi passphrase

Solution