[SOLVED] Could my charger/battery have fried my laptop mobo?

RoDeLoPo

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
Hey everyone. Recently my XPS 9550 mobo died (would only turn on for a few seconds). Luckily, I was able to snatch a mobo off eBay for a great price, and have successfully repaired my laptop.

I want to avoid this happening again, so my question is, could my charger or battery have been the culprits and damaged my mobo? The charger seems to be working fine, haven't observed any odd behavior, and I don't think there was a power surge when my laptop first shut off and broke. Battery was losing its charge since I've had this laptop for almost three years now. I am currently borrowing a charger from a friend, and have not reconnected my battery.

So would you recommend investing in a new charger and battery, or is it unlikely that they were what caused the damage?

Solution
But do you think it would be possible for the charger to be at fault if there weren't power surges at the time?

I suppose anything is possible. It's just highly unlikely. You can check the output voltage with a multi-meter. I've never encountered one which was outputting too high a voltage from it's label. Either they work or they don't work.

Some cheap third party knockoff may blow out because it can't handle the load. But it would be dead afterward.
But do you think it would be possible for the charger to be at fault if there weren't power surges at the time?

I suppose anything is possible. It's just highly unlikely. You can check the output voltage with a multi-meter. I've never encountered one which was outputting too high a voltage from it's label. Either they work or they don't work.

Some cheap third party knockoff may blow out because it can't handle the load. But it would be dead afterward.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS