GPU- nvidia 970 4gb
Psu- evga 700w 80bronze
Ram- ddr3 8gb Kingston hyper x (4x 2gb)
Hdd- 1 Tb WD
ssd- 240gb Kingston
Mobo- gigabyte z68a d3 b3
Cooler- ID- cooling liquid cooler
Windows10 64bit

Everything has been running smoothly but while gaming I over heard the fan spinning really fast check it out on HW-monitors and notice it was at 9000RPM, and cpu temp was at 86 degree Cel. So I closed my game and rebooted and at idle the cpu temp was still around 75-80 degree cel. Mobo was around 30 cel. Along with the gpu also. My idle cpu temp is usually around 25 cel. I thought it was that liquid cooler so I swap to a 212 hyper EVO, but once installed thats when the boot looping started. Even tried to go back to the liquid cooler to no avail. Cant get it to post. All fans and led work for 2-3 seconds then the system just reboots. I've tried taking each RAM at one by one. I've taken out the CMOS battery as well. Could the CPU be fried or the mobo be damaged? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
The pump could be failing on that... you should try your air cooler instead.
Also are you running with only one stick of RAM?

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
That's hot, but not likely to destroy your CPU at that temp so I don't think that's it. Did you remove the CPU at all when you changed coolers? Clean it up and apply new thermal paste? Ensure the CPU was seated in properly.

Oct 23, 2018
Thanks for the response, yes each time I clean with rubbing alcohol and applied Arctic silver 5. Still just reboots every 2-3 seconds. Could I have damaged the mobo by over tightening the screw on the back plate of the 212 Evo? I did have difficult time with it.

Just to make sure.... Arctic Silver 5 is capacitive(it retains a small electrical charge) so it's not a good ideea to drop it near pins or pcb traces... you can short something.
How much of it did you use on the CPU? Did you drop some on the motherboard?

If that didn't touch anything of what I said above then it should be fine.
I asked you about it because that was the last thing you did before your system wouldn't POST and could cause problems.
You can try cleaning and re-seating the CPU cooler once more with care.

I'm not sure exactly but my cousin said he shorted out an old P67 board and here's what it does no matter what. Fans spin for 1 to 2 seconds, lights flash, and it turns off and does it again endlessly. Sounds like yours.

If you get any bios beep codes then that's one way of knowing what the problem might be. I highly doubt it's the CPU. Could be the RAM or motherboard. The system might act that way with bad RAM or a bad cpu or if the motherboard is bad. Sometimes bad motherboards won't give any beep codes and I think no beep code might be just the thing we might be looking for to tell if it's the motherboard gone bad. Though again it's hard to tell exactly without any known good hardware to test the CPU and RAM with. Usually my system beeps when turned on because I have a little speaker on my board. If any component failed I'd know which one by listening to the beep code and looking in the manual to see what the code means. If you don't have a speaker you can get one cheap on ebay for like $3. Just type 'Bios speaker' on ebay and it'll come up on ebay.

Oct 23, 2018
Thanks for that tip! I'll be ordering that bios speaker. I only believe its the CPU due to it was the only component that was over heating. I thought first it had to be my liquid cooler not doing its job, but switching to the 212 Evo got me to where I am now :/
I appreciate your input! :)

CPUs don't usually fail... even if yours it's overheating, when the temps get unbearable it will auto-shut down.
At work I had a pc with a i7 3770 which was thermal throttling and then BSOD-ing. Checked the temps and it was reaching 100 degrees celsius. The problem was that the cooler was not even plugged in.
It still runs perfectly to this day after re-applying thermal paste and plugging in the cooler.
Your motherboard has a much higher chance of failing than your CPU.

Oct 23, 2018
I got a motherboard ordered, it'll be here on Tuesday. If it is my mobo will my current hardware be ok? It wont hurt me keep trying to get it to boot till my new one comes in? Or is it safe to just wait for my newer one to arrive?

Oct 23, 2018
Just to check back in I've reapplied thermal compound, still just running with my ssd only OS loaded, integrated graphics, and one stick of ram. The cpu temp managed to drop around 45 cel. Not the I was hoping for but MUCH better than previous. Could my liquid cooler not be doing its job to well? I haven't tried the 212 Evo yet. Also the 212 Evo is brand new and liquid cooler is around 5yrs old. Thank you all for the helpful feedback!!!

Here's a current ss of the temps and my messy pc ATM.

https://imgur.com/a/GFjpJyI

Oct 23, 2018
After idling for about an hour around 45cel (with just 1 stick of ram and integrated graphics) I thought I made progress, but as I moved some cables my led went out on my exhaust fan and the temp jumped from 45 back to 80. Wiggled it and the led came back on and temp dropped. So I replaced all fans with new ones plugged into the mobo 3pin. Added my gpu and hdd and ram and booted up just fine, but still cpu temp stayed idle around 80-98cel. I did notice what sounded like water gushing from the cooler. I'll place the 212 Evo tomorrow now that I've got new fans that arent shorten the mobo out.

Oct 23, 2018
I got the 212 Evo installed and sure enough my cpu temp is at 25cel!!! :) :)

So in conclusion after all the trouble shooting, I replaced a faulty exhaust fan and a intake fan just to be safe. Removed CMOS battery for 5minutes, then replaced the liquid cooler with a hyper 212 Evo and now the cpu temp is back in the 20s cel! Apparently, the pump was bad because that cooler just wasnt keeping it below 80cel. Thank you all very much for your time and feedback!

Heres a ss of my temps with the hyper 212 evo and with it installed.

https://imgur.com/a/7WNZ0BY

Oct 23, 2018
This rig has served me well I don't see a need to upgrade. Which is why I was hell bent getting it back up lol. I've never OC mine wasn't to sure about the voltages. I've changed the multiplier only but changed back to .33 cause I wasn't certain if I needed to change volts or not. Nice to hear yours is still sailing smoothly!