Could my Dual Radeon RX560s have burned out 2 power supplies?

thesqueedler

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
I got 2 Radeon RX560 from a friend who didn't need/want them any more. I had a 650W power supply which burned out within days of installing these (he assured me I didn't need more), even though I didn't overclock or anything. So I replaced it with 850W Seagate, which according to the GPU specs should be plenty, however, after a recent BIOS upgrade now it won't even turn on. I don't know if this is a coincidence or if these GPUs just finally ruined this power supply. I never overclocked anything, so I don't know why this would have happened.

Is it possible the GPUs blew a second power supply over time? Could it be the BIOS update?

The RX 560's only have a TDP of 75 watts each. Please excuse my next question, but how do you know the original 650 watt power supply burned out? What precisely are you observing that's leading you to that conclusion? Have you tried individually connecting the 650 and 850 watt units to a different system, to see if they boot up? Btw, I don't believe that Seagate makes power supplies. Perhaps you meant Seasonic?

Addendum: Would you mind listing your full specs? CPU / RAM / MB mfg. & model / storage / both power supply mfg. & models, etc

thesqueedler

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
Yes, I did mean Seasonic...anyway the way I figured out was by measuring AC voltage from the power supply with it plugged in ..that was on the old one. I haven't tried this yet with the new one, but I did check the power strip and all the switches, and I removed one of the graphics cards. Just before this happened, Inoticed that it was no longer recognized by the system, not even showing up in BIOS. Then shortly afterward, the machine wouldn't turn on. It's completely dark. Won't spin up fans or lights.

thesqueedler

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
I realize this is a long time ago, but I have 2 PCs up and running with almost all the old components except one graphics card and the old power supply, which was recycled. I now suspect that the old power supply was fine, and that there might have been an issue with the graphics cards touching, or one of them shorting to the chassis, or some weird power trip (lol) like that. It was a tight fit in that case. The reason I suspect this is that I started to see similar behavior with a completely new GPU and gold-rated power supply (same everything else), and I made sure that the GPU was seated properly, cables were firmly in socket and out of the way of fans and not interfering with anything, and it has been fine after that. The old power supply may very well have been fine.

@kipp1400 : trying the other PCI would have been a good idea.... if someone else runs across this thread they should try that, too.