Question Could my GPU overheat because of my network card?

May 21, 2023
Hello.
So I got this pc around 2 weeks ago, and from moment of buying I had some small rare graphic bugs, but yesterday I started experiencing crashes.
I got this in both Fortnite and PUBG - while I am playing, it just randomly shuts off. It is not electricity problem 100%.
I used the overlay from 'AMD Software: Adrenaline Tool' to see what my temps were, and at the moment of crash the temps weren't enormously high - CUR TEMP at 75°-76° and JUNC TEMP at 86° Celsius.
So I experienced this 3 times yesterday, and 2 times today. Today I started thinking, that maybe it was because of network card, that I added to this pc after I bought it.
You can see on the photo, that it completely blocks half of the fan, the GPU is RX6600.
So, maybe, the GPU overheats, because it can't get enough air, and automatically turns off?
It is kinda hot if I hover over it with my hand, but really this is my first mid-tier/top-tier gpu, so maybe it is okay that it is so hot?
Please help.. I am now starting to regret, that I bought this pc, because if the problems are caused not by network card, then seems the GPU is broken, idk.
Thanks.

t4Fr6Yn_d.webp

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

make and model of the wireless adapter that's in the build?

In a way, it could be affecting your GPU, since it's feeding warm air into the fan that's supposed to cool the GPU's die surface and VRM area. The issue could also be that your drivers are corrupt or your PSU is having issues delivering power when the GPU is taxed.

Ambient room air temps?

Did you ever run it without that network card? Can you run it without that network card installed and see if you still get problems?

I doubt it's thermal, or you'd be seeing higher GPU temperatures. But if it's a cheap brand of network card there's a possibility that it's emitting more electrical noise than it should which is interfering with your GPU. But there are lots of other possibilities, and it's difficult to say without knowing your full PC details and its history. You say you got it two weeks ago, but was that new or secondhand?

May 21, 2023
Did you ever run it without that network card? Can you run it without that network card installed and see if you still get problems?

I doubt it's thermal, or you'd be seeing higher GPU temperatures. But if it's a cheap brand of network card there's a possibility that it's emitting more electrical noise than it should which is interfering with your GPU. But there are lots of other possibilities, and it's difficult to say without knowing your full PC details and its history. You say you got it two weeks ago, but was that new or secondhand?
Thanks for answer.
I got this pc as used - the gpu was used for 7 months, but all other components were new.

my full specs:
CPU: i3-12100f
CPU cooler: Stock
Motherboard: H610M H DDR4
Ram: DDR4 16GB 2400MHz
SSD/HDD:
1. CL1-3D256-Q11 NVMe SSSTC 256GB (System)
2. Crucial BX500 240GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD
3. Seagate Spinpoint ST750LM022 M8 750GB 5400RPM SATA 3Gb/s
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX6600 8GB
Network card: Tp-Link Archer T6E
PSU: Xilence 550w Performance a+iii 80+ Bronze
Chassis: i don't know
Monitor: Philips 241E

Last edited:
Personally I highly rate TP-Link so I doubt it's electrical noise.

From what I can find, Xilence PSUs aren't the best or the worst. The RX6600 isn't a demanding card so unless the Xilence has a fault I don't think it's that.

The provenance is a bit confusing. You make it sound like this was a PC built out of new parts except for a 7-month old graphics card, which is playing up. Do you have any information about where/when the GPU was bought? You might be able to get it changed under warranty by either the supplier or Sapphire. (I'm guessing you bought this PC from a private seller?)

How much did you buy this system for? If it's new parts but you paid second-hand price...well, maybe getting a new GPU and selling the old as parts-only/not working, you might still have a bargain.

I doubt that wifi card is messing with air flow much if at all, I ran a similar config but with a gen 4 m.2 to pcie card blocking probably about half of 2 fans on my evga 3080ti, that card never had temp issues.

For your crashing issue, I would look at the PSU or CPU temps, a hot GPU typically wont shut the system down, it will downclock like crazy or it will crash the driver at some point, but typically the system will just run and you'll get worse and worse performance the hotter the GPU gets.

A hot CPU can most definitely cause a system to shutdown, they will down clock to keep temps safe like a GPU, but it will only do it to a point and then shutdown, some boards will also just default to a shutdown state rather than downclocking the CPU like crazy.

A PSU can as well cause a system shutdown, I've had a PC come in for repair with a dead fan controller in their PSU, the fan was good, PSU was also good, but the PSU could no longer control and power the fan even under a crazy load, so the PSU overheated and shutdown, Make sure your PSU can breath, if its sitting on carpet and the PSU fan intake is at the bottom, chance are its running hot.

If you got another PSU able to safely power the system, I would try that and see what happens, If you have to go a buy a new PSU, don't destroy the packaging, most places will accept a return if the PSU isn't the problem.

So check CPU temps before it shuts the system down, and then I'd vote for the PSU being flaky.

Good Luck!