Question Could my graphics card be on its way out? Or something else...

da_btrain

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
OK - I don't really know if this is graphics related but it's my best guess.

Was creating a document in openoffice writer today - basically a blank document with a title.

Changed the font from 'times new roman' to 'acumin variable concept' and then was unable to see anything I was typing. Any characters were just bunched up on top of each other on the left hand side.

This carried across to photoshop also - weird window layouts, unable to see what I was doing etc.

The clock in the system tray has also disappeared.

See examples of what it looks like here: https://ibb.co/tHdTQtG and here: https://ibb.co/tqDn0yZ

The problem initially went away when restarting...so long as I didn't run open office, but I've just restarted without doing that and now it's persisting.

Could it be the graphics card failing or something else? It's almost like it's switching to 8 bit for certain aspects.

I'm using a stock MSI GP62m 7REX Leopard - about 2.5 years old.

Thanks in advance.

If the clock is also disappearing, then it sounds like you might have a corrupted OS or physical damage to your harddrive (if it is an HDD). Try running chkdsk /f /r in windows command prompt (make sure you open it as administrator). That will check for errors both physically & digitally and attempt to fix them/recover any lost data in bad sectors. It may prompt you that it cannot run it since the disk is mounted and if you would rather run it at bootup, if this is the case press the "Y" key and restart your computer. It'll run the diagnostic.

da_btrain

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

Ran chkdsk /f /r successfully. Not sure if it reports at completion any errors/successes but the diagnostic finished happily enough. Not sure if that rules out the HDD as a culprit?

I've updated the drivers on the nvidia driver - which needed doing - but that doesn't seem to have done anything.

Problem still there - I can trigger it by the above - the font change in open office to a 'variable concept font' - then the weirdness in windows explorer, photoshop etc. starts happening.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks for the reply.

Ran chkdsk /f /r successfully. Not sure if it reports at completion any errors/successes but the diagnostic finished happily enough. Not sure if that rules out the HDD as a culprit?

I've updated the drivers on the nvidia driver - which needed doing - but that doesn't seem to have done anything.

Problem still there - I can trigger it by the above - the font change in open office to a 'variable concept font' - then the weirdness in windows explorer, photoshop etc. starts happening.

Anything else I can try?

Try:

sfc /scannow

In command prompt - admin mode. That should scan windows core files for any further issues. I don't know about your HDD being the culprit, but since your windows explorer is glitching out it only seems like a corrupted windows file issue to me.

Also, you can try installing Crystaldiskinfo to monitor your HDD details. It'll also tell you if your drive is going bad.

Last option would be to completely reinstall windows using the restore tool, but that's a nuclear resort if nothing else works.

da_btrain

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks again for the reply and suggestions.

I ran sfc /scannow and it did come back with an error that it repaired. I can't remember the exact message but it was along those lines.

I installed crystaldiskinfo also and checked out both drives. The ssd and hdd and both were showing 'good'

I did consider reinstalling windows but undertandably that's not particularly appealing ;)

Do you think it's worth pursuing and/or uninstalling the font I mentioned? It's an adobe cc font but seems to be the thing that triggers it.