[SOLVED] Could my motherboard be 'bottlenecking' my CPU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stako2908

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
AMD FX8300@3.30Ghz
GTX 1050ti 4GB
8GB DDR3
500GB HDD
Motherboard:MSI 760GM-P21(FX)
Im feeling so stupid cause i got this idea a whole year after upgrading processor on my PC,but here we go:
The thing is,my configuration isnt that great for the new-gen games,but i feel like it should be able to run all the old ones fine.But,i decided to get Far Cry 4 a few days ago,and i couldnt run it @60FPS even at low settings.I started searching around the internet now and i found out it's not 100% sure that my CPU can run well on this motherboard.Could this be causing the issue,or should i search for the problem in something else?

Solution
Prime 95 is not the app to be running on your pc. We already know it's too hot. Prime 95 will stress the system more than regular gaming, hence it will get hotter. No need to do it, don't go there. All you might succeed in doing is heating up so much the system shuts down. Great discovery.

If you were to follow my suggestions, something would change. Switching off 4 cores in the bios will reduce the cpu temperature. But it won't particularly impact gaming performance on a game that only uses 2 cores and 2 threads. You will have 4 cores available, 2 for windows and 2 for the game.

Nothing more can be done. This effort is only to try to reduce temps without spending any money. The mobo is too limited for overclocking, not that...

DavidM012

Distinguished
no prime 95 will not help diagnose the problem. User benchmark will provide some results that are a run down of your system, to highlight where the bottlnecks are.

Updating the bios did nothing to improve the system at all.

The basic problem is most likely that your mobo isn't suited to the mobo. The hardware is mismatched.

The hdd is slow and 8gb is probably causing windows to page more, slowing down the system more.

All prime 95 will do is heat up your system 'til it goes t*ts up. We know. Timmy is down there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR5ZgoVFwHY

*Inspired from the world of pc gaming.

Last edited:

stako2908

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Where have we definitively established this? I agree that P95 is more unrealistically hard on your CPU compared to most games, it's just a convenient thing that you can run side by side with your monitoring software. The OP can also try running his game in windowed mode such that as soon as it starts stuttering he can look over at AMD Overdrive without minimizing.

If he's CPU bottlenecked lowering the resolution/settings isn't going to help. If he's overheating it could actually make things worse.
Prime 95 application has stopped working
Can't manage to start it.Any other program I can use instead of this one?

stako2908

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
no prime 95 will not help diagnose the problem. User benchmark will provide some results that are a run down of your system, to highlight where the bottlnecks are.

Updating the bios did nothing to improve the system at all.

The basic problem is most likely that your mobo isn't suited to the mobo. The hardware is mismatched.

The hdd is slow and 8gb is probably causing windows to page more, slowing down the system more.

All prime 95 will do is heat up your system 'til it goes t*ts up. We know. Timmy is down there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR5ZgoVFwHY

*Inspired from the world of pc gaming.
Well okay,i guess i will have to deal with it sooner or later-my pc is sh*t.Thank you once more,i will inform you guys if anything new happens.I will turn off 2 of the cores and enjoy what I can i guess.

DavidM012

Distinguished
ty. Slow boot drive, slow ram, two big bottlenecks for windows.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/3639vs3650

1050 vs 1060 gtx.

Matters could improve with the gpu upgrade alone but not alot since the basic problem of that hdd/ram bottlneck won't be solved and would still be best to switch off a coupla cpu cores or 4 to reduce thermal issues, even if you upgrade the gpu.

You can go in several directions.

a) Upgrade gpu + hdd to an ssd.

and Look around for 16gb of ddr3 1600 memory. *not portable to a new ryzen system so not really economical at all in any way, all money down the drain. But Idk if mebbe there's something on sale/repacked that might just be worth it. $40 is still prolly too much money for that. But doable.

b)upgrade cpu, mem (ddr4 with ryzen) and mobo to ryzen + upgrade hdd to ssd.

c)Upgrade b+upgrade gpu.

c)That is the most solid option. This isn't a gcse exam quiz.

*Prolly a gtx 1660 would be preferable to a gtx 1060.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/4038vs3650

1660vs 1050.

The cpu ram and memory can't be ported to a new build. You could also re-use your 1050 with the ryzen cpu mem and mobo the basic question is, do you want the cheapest upgrade or the full upgrade?

*The ssd and gpu upgrade is portable to the new core ryzen build.

The dilemma is whether or not to spend the $40 on some better ddr3 ram or save $40 towards the ryzen build. The memory/hdd page file bottleneck is slowing down your pc. The most. Next to the cpu 8350 being unsuited to the mobo.

*It is not economical to upgrade the fx mobo to another fx mobo in any way.

stako2908

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
ty. Slow boot drive, slow ram, two big bottlenecks for windows.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/3639vs3650

1050 vs 1060 gtx.

Matters could improve with the gpu upgrade alone but not alot since the basic problem of that hdd/ram bottlneck won't be solved and would still be best to switch off a coupla cpu cores or 4 to reduce thermal issues, even if you upgrade the gpu.

You can go in several directions.

a) Upgrade gpu + hdd to an ssd.

and Look around for 16gb of ddr3 1600 memory. *not portable to a new ryzen system so not really economical at all in any way, all money down the drain. But Idk if mebbe there's something on sale/repacked that might just be worth it. $40 is still prolly too much money for that. But doable.

b)upgrade cpu, mem (ddr4 with ryzen) and mobo to ryzen + upgrade hdd to ssd.

c)Upgrade b+upgrade gpu.

c)That is the most solid option. This isn't a gcse exam quiz.

*Prolly a gtx 1660 would be preferable to a gtx 1060.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/4038vs3650

1660vs 1050.

The cpu ram and memory can't be ported to a new build. You could also re-use your 1050 with the ryzen cpu mem and mobo the basic question is, do you want the cheapest upgrade or the full upgrade?

*The ssd and gpu upgrade is portable to the new core ryzen build.

The dilemma is whether or not to spend the $40 on some better ddr3 ram or save $40 towards the ryzen build. The memory/hdd page file bottleneck is slowing down your pc. The most. Next to the cpu 8350 being unsuited to the mobo.

*It is not economical to upgrade the fx mobo in any way.
I don't think i could get a better and more in-depth answer than this one,thanks for taking your time!Last but not the least,I ran a game again(with all 8 cores on,turbo mode back on) and this is what I've got:
https://prnt.sc/nom224
Afterburner was showing 206C on CPU,and these are the readings from OverDrive.Cpu didnt set on fire,so it's pretty much 100% false reading.Could this be connected to low performance somehow?

DavidM012

Distinguished
no the false reading is simply obscuring what is really going on which would be cleared up by a reading with hwinfo64 , when you run it 1st, select sensors only.

Amd overdrive will also provide some info that is more accurate. This is not to enable overclocking. Don't do that. It's only to read the cpu temps. You can leave that running in the background as well.

Run the game or a game that is a bit less stressful, to get a read of the max. cpu temp under load, before really stressing it with the heavy far cry 4 game.

*If you upgrade your gpu probably best to upgrade your power supply unit (psu) since your existing one is probably a)not recommended b)unknown in this thread c)low wattage when d) a nice quality 650w power supply unit would be best on your fx system if you upgrade the gpu.

*Also prolly best to upgrade the psu to a nice quality 550w unit if you upgrade to ryzen.

*The fx despite being a lower performing cpu requires a larger psu than the ryzen. So there's some $ in there somewhere as well, when considering build options.

stako2908

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
no the false reading is simply obscuring what is really going on which would be cleared up by a reading with hwinfo64 , when you run it 1st, select sensors only.

Amd overdrive will also provide some info that is more accurate. This is not to enable overclocking. Don't do that. It's only to read the cpu temps. You can leave that running in the background as well.

Run the game or a game that is a bit less stressful, to get a read of the max. cpu temp under load, before really stressing it with the heavy far cry 4 game.

*If you upgrade your gpu probably best to upgrade your power supply unit (psu) since your existing one is probably a)not recommended b)unknown in this thread c)low wattage when d) a nice quality 650w power supply unit would be best on your fx system if you upgrade the gpu.
The reading from the screenshot is from Overdrive,but im pretty sure it’s false,so it doesnt matter anymore.I think that’s pretty much it,welp,nothing I can do bout it else than upgrade it but it is what it is,thanks once more buddy

DavidM012

Distinguished
no there is more you could do like read it from hwinfo64 odd that it's 206 from overdrive I thought it was msi afterburner anyway but yes really when all is said and done, in the struggle to switch off the cores and read the cpu temp, after all, the upgrade would ultimately mean the system is overall stronger.

I just wanted to inform you that there are several options.