[SOLVED] Could my motherboard be issue?

Guccccci

Honorable
Mar 17, 2015
Hello all,

For some time now, when I restart or turn my computer on after shut down, it does not recognize my mouse or keyboard (or any other USB devices), making it impossible for me to even login into my computer or enter the BIOS setup. A temporary fix that I found is to force shut down my PC, and disconnect the power supply for around 15 minutes. About 50% of the time, my computer will recognize the USB devices after doing that, but as of late, I have had no luck.

However, I tried plugging in my PS/2 keyboard and mouse to see if it would work, and they are recognized and working just fine. It is only USB devices that do not work.

In addition to these problems, when I try to shut down my computer, the fans continue running, so I have to force shut down the PC. I had no issues when I put my PC to sleep, but one morning when I went to turn on my PC from sleep mode, the fans made a really loud noise as if it were hitting some wires, but I checked and none of my fans were making contact with anything.

I am wondering if any of you had any input on this? As of right now, I think my motherboard may be the issue, but would like to hear from others on this situation.

Solution
Yeah I think it's the debug led and it will show a code when USB is not enumerated in bios during boot and the speaker also makes specific sounds only while booting to tell us a problem and regarding fans not shutting down is probably because of some processes still running while windows is trying to shut down, maybe try booting with single ram stick and no one USB attached to see if debug led throws any codes.

Guccccci

Honorable
Mar 17, 2015
Have you made any recent modifications to the setup, sounds like a short to me somewhere, make sure everything is clean and not touching anything.

I have not modified anything as of recent. All the parts are the same since I built my PC 3 years ago, except for the PSU, which I had to replace about 8 months ago due to my previous one dying on me (EVGA 550W PSU).

I will check my PC again to see if anything is not where it is supposed to be. Thank you for your input!

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
On the other hand it hints me that computer is taking longer to shut down or not shutting down properly and hence fans keep spinning and USB devices are not being loaded during bios test, does the board have any dr.mos and is it showing any error codes or is there a speaker that beeps in a certain manner and I can diagnose further with those codes or sounds, try removing power from PSU and remove cmos battery and leave it for couple of hours to drain off power from all capacitors and then start and report.

Guccccci

Honorable
Mar 17, 2015
On the other hand it hints me that computer is taking longer to shut down or not shutting down properly and hence fans keep spinning and USB devices are not being loaded during bios test, does the board have any dr.mos and is it showing any error codes or is there a speaker that beeps in a certain manner and I can diagnose further with those codes or sounds, try removing power from PSU and remove cmos battery and leave it for couple of hours to drain off power from all capacitors and then start and report.

I am not familiar with what dr.mos is...so I am unsure if my motherboard has it. However, there is an ezdebug LED on my motherboard if it is anything similar. None of the LEDs are lighting up though.

I've also previously removed the CMOS battery from the motherboard for about 5 - 10 minutes before. I'll try and let it sit out for a few hours instead so it drains the power completely.

As for beeping, when I click to shut down my PC, there is a singular beep after a few moments, and then the fans continue spinning as if the PC is on, but the monitors do not display anything.

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Yeah I think it's the debug led and it will show a code when USB is not enumerated in bios during boot and the speaker also makes specific sounds only while booting to tell us a problem and regarding fans not shutting down is probably because of some processes still running while windows is trying to shut down, maybe try booting with single ram stick and no one USB attached to see if debug led throws any codes.

Solution